Re enlisting to DEPLOY?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Chriskid, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Chriskid macrumors newbie

Well here it is..

The question is..
    I really want to deploy, for the extra money, i only owe about 12k worth of debt and it is only my car payment..

Nothing huge.
    But they are telling me, in order to deploy i MUST re enlist..
    It doesnt sound rite, but again, i dont know the ins and outs, about extending, to deploy or finish out a deployment or watever.. they basicly wont help me.

.. And they have lied to me before, about this and that!
    ~ maybe my time is up, and im done when my times up, because i want to start my life, go to college, and become things, that i cant do while in the army, I want to be an actor, but i deffinetly do not want to try to attempt that while in the army.. i just wanna be semi free..

I was thinking i can do national guard, reserves or watever else it takes, to get free schooling, But im lost.. I just dont know what i wanna do.
    As of now, i have about 10 or 11months left in the millitary, as active duty!

Any advice would help guys..
    I just wanna be happy, and start my life, but if its worth re enlisting for 2 more years, than i guess thats what i may need to do..

I dont know if the money is the biggest reason why i want to deploy, or the satisfaction of knowing i can have 0$ debt..

THANK YOU GUYS :)

2. Queso macrumors G4

Don't re-enlist for just this reason. You have made post-service plans and say yourself that you want to start putting them into action. If you stay on past the point where you don't want to be there you'll feel like you're wasting time. Take the chance, get your discharge and see where life takes you.

3. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I wouldn't bother with re-enlisting, you might kick yourself for blowing another year or two of your life. Remember, while you're running around out there, your future competitors back home are getting better skilled and experienced, networking, making contacts in the industry. Sure you'll struggle, but that's what it's all about - that's when you learn how to support yourself without looking towards the govt to ease you into adulthood.

Do some G4P like a lot of actors do, even straight guys do it, so no worries.

4. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I doesn't surprise me that they would try to force you to re-enlist before deployment since your tour would almost certainly be longer than the amount of time you have left. From the way I understand it (most of the people I know who have spent time in Iraq/Afghanistan are Marines, not Army), the Army can extend your deployment almost indefinitely, while the USMC is stricter about the length of time.

That being said, I would not re-up just to deploy. Sounds to me like the reserves are the way you should go.

G4P?

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Don't reenlist, or if you must reenlist for the benefits you want, go to the Air Force.

6. Chriskid thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah..

I just think they are trying to force me to stay in! But thats only how i see it, and maybe i should just take the chance and go out their and do what i had planned from the beginning, i suppose the money can come later.

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

They are lying to you. Many people in my old unit wanted to deploy without re-upping so all they had to do was sign a waiver.

Now they are all regretting signing that waiver (I ran into them while working as a contractor overseas) but to each his own.

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 Money will come. Id say go finish your schooling.

9. Chriskid thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm..

So cant i just extend?
    Or how does that work... Cause i do want to deploy, i really do. I dont mind at all.

10. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

9 posts later and you're back with your original question again. How would we know? Go ask someone who is actually in a position to give a take-to-the-bank answer.

11. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I'd go with a different direction to the previous post saying that all your friends will be making contacts/getting schooling/etc. I considered the Navy and ultimately went to school in 05'. I can tell you, all of my non-enlisted friends (I have a very good mix of both enlisted and non-enlisted), as well as myself are having a terrible time finding contacts, much less jobs.

I've talked with a some of my those friends that graduated last year with me and we all agreed, if we could do it over, we'd join up.

However, my friends that are coming off of their tours are either going back or have something lined up with government contractors here in the D.C. area.

Either way, whatever route you may chose to take. THANK YOU FOR THE SERVICE YOU'VE GIVEN THIS COUNTRY.

12. Adam0306 macrumors regular

Adam0306

If you just want to get deployed and don't care with who, have you checked out a DOD contractor? That way you don't have to re-enlist and you can do what you want to do for a career and not necessarily your MOS.

13. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

If you're a college graduate now, why don't you try to get a commission? And to the OP, why not consider the same? I have a friend who went to college for one year, flunked out (too much going to parties, not enough going to class), then enlisted in the Navy. After his enlistment was up, he went back to college, got a good degree, then went to law school and got recruited by the Marines. He got a commission as a JAG officer, served two tours in Iraq, and works for the Justice Department now.

+1

14. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 for DOD contractor. Been there done that as my last job for three years. The pay is great but the hours are very long. i worked 12 hours a day, 7 days a week.