"re-examine in september maybe well have a better idea"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dewdst, Jul 16, 2010.

1. dewdst macrumors member

Hmm? wondering what they will do then.

No i am not returning my iphone4 lol
    I love my iphone4... naked actually, i just don't palm it on the antennae like half the jerkoffs out there

2. skiltrip macrumors 68030

This is the one part of the press conf. that didn't give me closure, and instead just left me with more questions about "what's next?".

3. dewdst thread starter macrumors member

yeah sucks so if they do a mid-cycle refresh, the original purchasers will try to resell iphone4s on ebay etc, and the effects of the negative press will set in and it'll sell for a lot less then it should :/

4. ryuuzaki macrumors member

ryuuzaki

You bring up a good point. Anyone paying attention the conference today wouldve learned a couple of things (and I'm not trying to be an apple apologist here)

1. If they had a hardware fix, they wouldn't announce it today.

Why? The iPhone 4 wouldn't sell.

It takes months for the assembly line to be modified to include an additional step.

And on top of which, another couple of months to make the phones for any potential swap.

2. September 30th is an odd date. If anything it signals a mid-year update. And it'll come in the middle of October. Apple will hold another press conference and say, next week, you can go to your apple store and swap it in. Or maybe not. I'm sure they'd have to figure out a way to make this orderly.

But at this point in the game, they're far too deep in. It seems highly unlikely for them to do a hardware fix and do a mid year refresh.

It's much more convenient for Apple to implement the fix on next year's iPhone, and not this years.

Regardless, I definitely won't buy a new iPhone next summer. Too happy with my iP4 and I'd rather wait every two years to buy a new phone.

5. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Yeah, the only thing that would bother me about getting an iPhone 4 now (even if it did work without issue with a case) is that there might be some mod to the hardware in Sept/Oct to make it work better. If this were the case, would they offer anything to the original buyers? Or would they downplay the mod, say it's not major, in order to not have to do replacements. Cause, that would be a BIG undertaking. Especially seeing how many more iPhone 4 phones they'll sell between now and the end of Sept.

6. dewdst thread starter macrumors member

hopefully adopt some sort of discounted upgrade for early iphone 4 adopters kind of like the 2010 contract ending for 199$ they did this year. Maybe 199$ for all iph4 purchases jun15th-sept 30 :)

7. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

They would half to swap phones if they did. With all the press coverage they've gotten over this issue, if the press got a hold that they had a fix but would not swap "unfixed" phones then the bad press they would get would be on a whole other level.

8. bobright macrumors 601

This is not happening. Enjoy your phone, or return it if you feel this way.

9. dewdst thread starter macrumors member

no returning--love my phone (works well naked) just curious what other people thought

10. VladM macrumors regular

There will be an update, and they are fully within their rights to do so.

11. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Do we really need a separate thread for each letter of every word spoken at the press conference?

12. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Need? No. Have? Yes.

13. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I think what will end up happening is Apple will bundle a black bumper with every iPhone in the box.

14. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

Well, I watched the video about the conference twice, and in my opinion, since he made the statement in the timing regarding the case, I don't really believe it has to do with a hardware change. Since this coincides with the delivery of free cases, I believe it may be buying more time to see how well the case solution works and if a lot of the "hype" dies down.

Then again, another part of me wonders if they have tooled an improvement, and they are producing the "new version" and the "old version", so they can do a massive replacement or repair in that time frame, that would include all who had purchased the "original" version. It could be based on serial numbers. Anything before a certain number need to be replaced. Similar to auto recalls where they fix or replace certain parts based on serial numbers.

15. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Sounds about right. They will be able to ramp up production by then.

16. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

I seriously doubt this will happen...why are so many people comparing a cell phone to a car? Cars only have recalls for items that may cause a major safety hazard...nobody gets hurt by the iPhone4 antennae problem...get a clue people, quit using the car recall as a comparison, CELL PHONES ARE NOT CARS! :p

Apple will do their best to keep their customers happy, but, as HAS HAPPENED sometimes with releases of new electronics, there just are SOME people that have problems with them, not all. If everyone that bought the iPhone 4 complained about the same thing, then MAYBE they would recall it, but this problem does NOTE affect everyone.