Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gramps416

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Hello,
I am a proud new owner of a 15" 2.2.
I am trying out various tests to make sure everything is ship shape.

I wanted to know how to perform a test that works the cpu and gpu, to see if my machine falls in an acceptable temperature range.

Please note that I don't have much software installed at this point.
thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hello,
I am a proud new owner of a 15" 2.2.
I am trying out various tests to make sure everything is ship shape.

I wanted to know how to perform a test that works the cpu and gpu, to see if my machine falls in an acceptable temperature range.

Please note that I don't have much software installed at this point.
thanks
You don't need to perform such tests. Just use your Mac normally. In the unlikely event that you encounter a problem, that's what your warranty is for.

There is no overheating problem with MBPs; only a perceived one. For more info, read this.

gramps416

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
but there are anomalies. I am not the first one to jump and exchange things. I guess I just want peace of mind. Could you still recommend a method?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
but there are anomalies. I am not the first one to jump and exchange things. I guess I just want peace of mind. Could you still recommend a method?
Read the post I linked that describes things that put higher demands on the CPU/GPU. It's really pointless, as the number of MBPs with defects and true overheating problems is a miniscule percentage of those sold. If it floats your boat, knock yourself out!

gramps416

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
good link. I don't understand somthing. are you saying that resetting the SMC will do it? also does that also work the GPU as well?

is that the easiest way?

JR1993

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2011
good link. I don't understand somthing. are you saying that resetting the SMC will do it? also does that also work the GPU as well?

is that the easiest way?

No. If the fans are spinning but there is no excess heat, reset SMC to solve the problem.

Macbook pro's are known to get 'hot' because of the aluminium casing, which conducts a lot more heat that a plastic laptop will. Therefore, even if it gets hot, then it is not overheating. If it overheats, the intel chip will shut down the laptop to prevent damage. At that point is when you contact apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.