re-imagined mini (think cube)

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by pianoman88, Oct 22, 2016.

1. pianoman88 macrumors regular

I'd love the next Mini to be a six-inch cube with user-expandable memory, TB3 and room for several SSDs.

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I don't mind if they release an option for multiple SSD inside of any of their systems.
    They are so small and fast, surely there's space for a few chips, or even 2 ssd drives flat near eachother.

3. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

It's all glue from here on out. Apple isn't giving up that $$$

Screw the customers

4. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

We get pretty boxes because of it that work really well. But.. yeah .. cry .. No more 'oh look the iMac screen is just held together with magnets'

5. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

No more user serviceability. Because of that, the 2012 Mac mini is the last Mac I recommended to my extended family.

Apple gets their extra couple hundred $$ on forced upgrades, but loses thousands of $$ on zero sales to my extended family.

Apple wins, and loses at the same time.

6. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Same here.

7. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Wish apple would cater to both parties
    • All glued in, no need to open up the case - it just works
    • People who like to tinker, and give support to family. The somewhat budget conscience(but we're still buying a Mac) who are not sure of future needs. Or don't want to pay 3-4 times the $ for components that are going to be much less $ in two years

8. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I agree, the Mac Pro can be the tinker, and the Mac Mini.
    Then the laptops and desktops can just be an all in one solution.

9. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Apple could certainly do lots of interesting variations on a theme with respect to the Mini but chances are they wont.

I like the idea of an easy access to upgrade little computer and that is why so many others wanting a mini server, a mini file storage server and htpc are going over to the non Apple side. Apple doesn't make much sense any more in these venues.

10. grcar Suspended

grcar

The glued memory option is OK PROVIDED Apples charges for the more memory option AT COST.

11. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

with security screws preferably

12. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I will never upgrade my memory on Apple's site if I can get it elsewhere and upgrade it myself.
    It really is a terrible deal. not only do you pay twice as much, you 'replace' what's already in there.

You got 8? You upgrade to 16? You pay 300$ or whatever,
    which takes the 8 out, and puts 2x8 back in.

Instead of buying from a local store crusial or kingston and pay 99$ for 2x8gb, and add it in the 2 extra slots on top of the 2x4, ending up with 24gb.

13. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

i heard the price difference in flash ram on the iphone was like $7 to double it for apple, and they charge hundreds. its infuriating

14. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I don't know about infuriating, but it sure does tickle my funny bone enough that I don't max out what I buy because of it.

15. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I upgraded my 4gb 2012 Mini to 16gb a few weeks ago and it cost $65. I'm fine with that, just wish I could do the same to my 2014 Mini. ;)

16. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Thats awesome

17. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

It'll look a lot like an Apple TV. A little puck, full of glue, with 12" MacBook internals, but more ports - HDMI, Ethernet, and USB C.

That's if they don't just discontinue it.

18. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

But it will come in your choice of pretty colors! :p

19. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Realistically Apple could put a core i5 mini in an Apple TV chassis

20. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Hmm not sure about that though I fully agree they should beef up the abilities of the AnemicTV. We have seen various devices that do similar or slightly less than (or more) than this player and they don't require an i5. Without going into any long discussion which processor, which method of handling video, I'll just simply say again we concur that Apple should come out with a more "powerful" or "capable" ATV.

21. brendu macrumors 68020

This would be fine with me if they charged $399 for a Mac mini m5 256GB SSD. This would make for a fantastic entry level mac. Unfortunately it's more likely to cost $599 for those specs which then makes it far less appealing.

22. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Mac Mini - remain as the castrated step child as it is presently.
    Mac Midi - the cube you imagined that is for the rest of us
    Mac Pro - Inspired by T.Cook's Bplug and is nothing more than a Mac Mini on steroids.

23. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I'm not saying beef up the Apple TV. I'm just saying they could shrink the mini massively if they so wished.

24. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Well perhaps the 1.4ghz Mini could be shrunk down and not require a fan if done properly but I admit I don't mind the size of the Mini or even slightly larger if Apple would have put some guts with real guts inside. Btw, if you had a small Mini, what ports should there be on it?