RE: Incorrect Valence Error (-61)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WiArcher, Feb 13, 2010.

1. WiArcher macrumors newbie

I have a Powerbook G4 running Panther OS 10.3.9 I don't receive the entire warning that was pictured in the prior thread ? RE: this ( http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=508059 ), just the Incorrect Valence (-61) from Tech Tools.... will the fix described for Tiger also work on my Panther 10.3.9 Powerbook? Also- can I upgrade to Leopard straight from Panther, or do I need to buy all of the newer versions to get there? (I'm hopin' to be able to have someone at the Apple store do that, as I don't have alot of $$ to upgrade...) I'd appreciate your help- Thanks

2. m85476585 macrumors 65816

It sounds like the valence band in one or more of the transistors in your CPU is incorrect. That can cause the Fermi level to be off, which might make the transistor(s) not function correctly. If the Fermi level is too high or too low the transistor may not operate correctly. It might act like a diode, or even just a resistor. To fix the Fermi level and correct the valence band, you may have to dope the transistor with either some Gallium or Arsenic impurities the the transistor in question. You will need to figure out if the incorrect valence is in a N-type region or a P-type region, and whether it is too high or too low. Maybe the Tech Tool log will say? Then you need to actually deliver the dopant to the transistor, which requires a mask with a 45nm feature size. This should go without saying, be careful with the dopants. Arsene gas is so toxic that a concentration high enough to be detected by smell will kill you (though I'm curious as to what it smells like. If you somehow find out, please let me know).

:)

3. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

LOL! That sounded very much like one of the EE classes I took many years ago. You did good!