re-install leopard on Macbook using iMac disc?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by will0407, Feb 10, 2009.

1. will0407 macrumors 6502a

Hi all,
    I just got a macbook from ebay. It didn't come with its original install discs. I know it's the latest white model before the aluminium updates- it has a 2.4ghz processor and 160GB.

I want to re-install leopard on it and do an erase and install. Is it OK to use the leopard discs that came with my housemates imacs? Or will they be different in some way?
    will

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No. It can't be done. Please actually search. You will need to buy Leopard retail.

3. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

why would you say it can't be done?
    I've also just realised that my girlfriend has a new macbook (alu) that came with leopard discs so I'm using them.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Because Apple physically prevents it from being done.

Also, it's against the EULA.

5. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok, i've just realised that!lol. I put the disc in and it came up with an error saying it couldn't be installed.

So, is there no other way to re-install leopard on it other than buying another retail version of leopard?

6. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

You can purchase the restore discs for that MacBook from Apple or maybe elsewhere. Otherwise, you can purchase Leopard from Apple or elsewhere.

If I were in your shoes, I would try to negotiate a deal with Apple that if you purchase AppleCare from them, they will give you the restore disks for free.