Re-install Lion instead of Windows 7

Discussion in 'macOS' started by slatera, Aug 12, 2013.

1. slatera macrumors newbie

So I'm wanting to do Iphone development so I need a mac os to code on. I got my brothers old mac from him but there is an issue. He put windows 7 on it because he does all .Net dev. This wouldn't be a problem except instead of using boot camp and having an extra partition, He completely deleted the mac side and it only runs windows. I have a lion dmg burned to a DVD on another mac that I would like to boot from. Windows does still have Boot camp utility on it. How do I completely get rid of windows and just install the mac os x? Can I just wipe windows completely and boot from the cd? Or do I need to mac a partition, install mac, then use boot camp to delete the windows partition? Thank you for the help. I haven't seen any advice on this particular situation.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You do not need Boot Camp Utility here - and it wouldn't help you anyway because the Mac side is gone. Boot from your Lion install media, open up Disk Utility, and format the installation drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Install Lion as normal.