Re-install of OS X... and some other stuff

Discussion in 'macOS' started by djhspawn, Sep 28, 2007.

1. djhspawn macrumors member

OK, here is my situation...... I currently have a 500gb in both bay 1 & 2. And a 150gb with Windows in Bay 3. Now, I just received a 160gb that I would like to install OSX on and raid the two 500gbs...

So, it would look like this

[bay1]160gb OSX
    [bay2]500gb Raid
    [bay3]500gb Raid
    [bay4]Windows

Now, since the current configuration is different then what I want... Can i just litterally move my HDDs around and start the install off OSX for the 160gb...:confused:

2. JackRipper macrumors regular

JackRipper

I'm not sure I understand the question, but here goes anyway...

The physical location of your drives does not matter, the OS X installer will ask you which drive to install to. If it were me, I would leave the 500 gigers in 1 and 2 (might be a slight speed advantage in the first slots), put the 160 into bay 4 and then start up with the install DVD (reboot with the Tiger DVD in your drive while holding the C key).

Once X is installed and booted from the 160, go into Disk Utility and set up your raid (or use a hardware raid card, you didn't say if you wanted a software raid or a hardware raid)

Again, I may have missed your question, but I hope this helps.

3. djhspawn thread starter macrumors member

you were dead on... thanks.

For the raid, I have a mac pro. Does it not raid via hard ware?

4. JackRipper macrumors regular

JackRipper

For a hardware raid you will need a raid card, or an external raid controller. Software raid is good and it should be sufficient, depending on what you want it to do for you.