Re-install OS X From CD Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by johnnyonthemac, Mar 21, 2012.

1. johnnyonthemac macrumors newbie

Greetings,
    I've never done this before so I'm a bit lost.

I purchased a new macbook pro. I wanted to re-install the OS X on my older macbook (2 years old) to wipe it out with a fresh install. I followed the instructions: I inserted the install cd and restarted the laptop. A window appeared and I chose Install OS X... It has been hours and all I see is a blue screen with the apple logo on it and the spinning-wheel.

I called a friend who has done this on his macbook. He says no way it should be taking that long.

Is there anything I can do to tell if this is normal? Should I just let it keep going? Can I restart it somehow?

Help?

2. simsaladimbamba

What DVD are you using on the older MB? The grey Restore DVD from that MB?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Are you using the grey install DVD that came with the MacBook? Or are you trying to use the one that came with your MacBook Pro? The grey install discs that come with Macs are model-specific and will not work on other models.

4. johnnyonthemac thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. It was the cd that came with that macbook. thanks,

5. johnnyonthemac thread starter macrumors newbie

okay, here's the deal. I took my macbook to the Apple Store and they did a fresh install for me from their network. FOR FREE! props apple store.

Apparently, I had snow leopard on my mac. That is different than the original version (factory install). So, the install cd had a hissy fit and just hung. The install cd did not know how to go backwards to an earlier version of the OS. I did not know this.

To get the install cd out: if the eject key does not work: (top right on my mac - looks like a triangle with a line under it). Hold down the keypad while holding down the power button. That will force the cd out. I did not know that.

Solution: Take macbook to apple genius at apple store.