Re-Install OS X Lion on Macbook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jasperjaz, Nov 30, 2013.

1. jasperjaz macrumors newbie

I recently decided to sell my MacBook Air. So I created a new account as Admin and deleted the old account, to which the laptop went black and beeped three times with a 2 second break. I then used recovery and formatted the disc...

The big issue now is as the macbook was second hand I did not buy Lion I own Mountain Lion, Snow Leopard & Leopard and older.

Recovery will only let an apple ID that own Lion install. I can no longer buy Lion in the app store!!

Is there a way to boot the MB Air to use the disc on my other MB to install Snow Leopard or any other solutions?

2. Habberkuk macrumors member

You could use your other MacBook's optical drive to install SL, but since you've formatted the HD it's too late. Have you got a super drive?

3. jasperjaz thread starter macrumors newbie

Just a macbook pro and an iMac. I had to format as it beeped every time I re started it. Seems silly that their is no option to pay for lion.

Would there be a way with terminal boot with iMac??

4. Habberkuk macrumors member

You actually can buy Lion. But you will have to call apple and it will cost 20 $ I think.
    If you buy it, it will come on a USB stick... I think you have to boot the computer up from the USB stick.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

All but the first generation Air will run Mavericks, which is free. Which model Air do you have?
    If I were selling a computer today, I'd put Mavericks on it if possible.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can buy Lion from Apple here. they will send you a code you can redeem in the App Store for Lion.