Re-install OS-X without bootup?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Reddeathmaster, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Reddeathmaster macrumors newbie

Basically I need to boot from disk and reinstall osx without booting up the current install as my keyboard and trackpad don't work on bootup, but are recognised as it boots up as I'm able to put it into safe mode. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you saying that holding a key down to boot from DVD isn't working? You could also simply put the DVD in with the system booted up, go to System Preferences -> Startup Disk, and then select the disc there and use the restart button in the preference pane. This will shut the computer down and reboot off the disc you selected (i.e. the install DVD).

3. Reddeathmaster thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah so your saying to boot from disk I hold any key? Thanks, just not able to test it out right now as I don't have my superdrive for MBA with me. My keyboard and trackpad don't work once the bootup is complete and I'm at the login screen.

Thanks

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Erm, not quite.

But if you can get to safe mode, then you must have initial keyboard functionality, so the other normal startup keys should work also.

Hold "c" at startup to try to boot from DVD.

Hold "option" at startup to get a boot menu of available boot devices.

The firmware is set up so these work even when there are driver issues and things. They even work when the boot keyboard and mouse are bluetooth devices, amazingly.

5. Reddeathmaster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats excellent, thanks for your help. I'll try that tomorrow.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer