Re-install OS X without losing personal data or applications?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jamestemroot, Jan 1, 2009.

1. jamestemroot macrumors member

Is it possible to re-install OS X from the DVD without losing personal data or saved data for applications (e.g. passwords / network set ups / etc)?

Please let me know. Thanks

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Yes, it is. However, reinstalling the OS is not a general maintenance routine. It is a solution to an otherwise unsolvable problem. Which otherwise unsolvable problem are you trying to solve?

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The process you're referring to is called an archive and install, preserving users and network settings. Steps to perform it can be found on www.apple.com/support. As MisterMe posted however, its generally a last resort if your computer's core system files are damaged or altered somehow that prevents them from working correctly.

4. jamestemroot thread starter macrumors member

I was attempting this: (re-enabling DFU mode in OS10.5.6)
    http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60657

And now as a result have locked my keyboard and trackpad, they only work at the moment, when I boot from the DVD

If you could let me know if this is the best way to regain control that'll be perfect. Thanks

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is my understanding of the rules of this forum that aiding users in violating software licenses is not allowed. Installing MacOS X on a Hackintosh is a violation of the MacOS X EULA. Please take your question elsewhere.