Re-install OSX?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by originalcliche, Sep 10, 2008.

1. originalcliche macrumors member

Hello

What I wantto do is re-install OSX Leapord on my Macbook. However I want to only keep a few programs and get rid of the rest. BUt these are programs that I already have installed and they are third party Audio plugins.Is there a way that I can clean up my macbook by re-installing osx without loosing these already installed plugins?

2. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Can't you simply get rid of the rest without the reinstallation? Just drag unwanted software to Trash and then empty trash.

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

First, back up everything you don't wanna lose to another drive, CD/DVD etc.....

Then use the "Archive & Install" option. This will give you a completely fresh install of OS X and leave everything else intact.

Also, by using the "customize" option, you can un-check all the un-needed printer drivers, language files, and whatever else you feel you don't need too, saving some HD space as well as making the install a bit faster :p

4. originalcliche thread starter macrumors member

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Because that's way too easy! This stuff is supposed to be complex and time-consuming, or you aren't accomplishing anything.

6. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Sounds a lot like Windows. :)

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Depressing, isn't it?