Re Install Snow Leopard 10.6

Discussion in 'macOS' started by citywalk, Apr 26, 2010.

1. citywalk macrumors member

Hey guys is there a re install guide for 10.6 snow leopard. I only have install one disc as far as i can see (2 copies).

The last time i reinstalled on a mac i had a disc 1 and disc 2. Well i was supposed too!!! I only had disc one (two copies) and had to wait a week for apple to mail me disc 2.

Anyway i have a ton of duplicate files and generally a lot of unwanted program's and I want to do a fresh install anyway.

All data i need is backed up

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Threads

Google

If you have DVD 1 (system) you can reinstall, as only iLife and other bundles software is on the second DVD (applications).

3. citywalk thread starter macrumors member

So I only need 1 disc to reinstall. But id be missing Iphoto, Imovie etc if i did?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, but as one thread or one google search result I linked to mentions, you can restore iMovie and the other iLife applications via Time Machine and Migration Assistant or backing the files up yourself, which is not that time consuming (five minutes).

5. citywalk thread starter macrumors member

sorry for being a thicko. lol. The last time I reinstalled on an older machine the 2nd CD was missing I don't want to make the same mistake twice! I had to wait for a over a week for apple to send it!

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Just copy the applications you want to have saved (iLife?) if you haven't already used Time Machine for that and also save the supporting files from Macintosh HD / Library / Application Support.

Here is a thread on how to find them: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20061222012729432

7. citywalk thread starter macrumors member

I don't want to use Time Machine to back up. The reason being I have a lot of unwanted files and duplicates that will surely just reappear when i use time machine after reinstall.

I want to do a clean install and "lose" all my data. I have all my photos backed up onto their original SD cards and all my music on dvd.

The problem is my macbook pro only shipped with 2 copies of one disc Snow Leopard. So I'm guessing ILife would be on a different disc?

All the other install forums mention a disc 2 with ilife which i dont have.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can choose what you want to transfer from a TM backup if you want, for instance applications.

Are the two DVDs that came with your Mac gray? If so, then that are the restore DVDs. Look for any individual markers like text, or are they both exactly the same (down to the numbers)?

[​IMG]

9. citywalk thread starter macrumors member

ah sorry I'm being a little thick!

The discs that came with it are not marked disc 1 and 2 like the old ones where on my macbook

but they are marked applications install dvd and osx install dvd.

Im guessing the ilife software may be on the apps install dvd?

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That is the case. Have fun reinstalling Mac OS X now.