Re-install Tiger after Leopard upgrade failed

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by squamtch, Mar 16, 2009.

1. squamtch macrumors newbie

I tried installing Leopard on my iBook G4 and it did not succeed. Now, my computer has a half-installed upgraded OS that doesn't work. I was told at the Apple Store that my computer would run better with Tiger anyway since my processor is not up to snuff to handle Leopard (my iBook is from Jan 2006) and that I should erase the hard disk and re-install Tiger.

So now I'm trying to reinstall Tiger but when I insert the disk, start up the computer holding down the C key, the start stalls at the apple logo gray screen with the little cog spinning around. Nothing happens after that.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do to remedy this? :confused:

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Have you tried putting in the Leopard disc and wiping the harddrive, then inserting the Tiger disc?

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You can easily run Leopard on a iBook of that generation. If you're getting a grey screen when you attempt to restart on the install DVD, then you probably have another problem unrelated to the failed install. In fact I would guess that your failed upgrade is due to the other issue.

4. xkRoWx macrumors regular

xkRoWx

Sounds like your hard disk is toast. There's no reason that your iBook cannot run Leopard. Unless, you're using a restore disc to install the Leopard. Always use a retail Leopard if you're doing a clean install, as the restore disc contains drivers (for Intel Mac) that are not compatible with iBook (PPC).

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What? Are you saying that the restore disc that came with the Mac is incompatible?