Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueglide

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Virginia Beach
So I am putting my new hardrive into my MacBook. Can't find my snow leopard disc, will time machine reinstall the OS? Or do I have to buy another snow leopard? I'm guessing I can't use someone elses disc? Good thing snow leopard is cheap!

Thanks

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
If somebody else's disc is the retail version you can use that to reinstall yours. Some would call that breaking the EULA, but seeing how you purchased but misplaced your copy, it's no different than using your own copy.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If you boot off the install disc, I think there's an option for you to use your Time Machine backup to restore thus skipping or aiding the "install process" form the Utilities menu. Not totally sure though, I know there's a Time Machine option.

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
If you have Sata 2.5" HD Enclosure, you could:

-Prepare the new drive with Disk Utility by putting it into the enclosure and connecting it to your MacBook
-Clone your existing internal drive to the new drive in the enclosure using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper
-Test to make sure that the new drive is bootable and complete by using it as you Startup Disk
-Switch the 2 drives and you'll have your same configuration on the new drive in your MacBook and an external drive in your enclosure for extra storage or backups.

Works like a charm and you wouldn't need a Snow Leopard disk -GDF

blueglide

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Virginia Beach
Thanks guys, I booted it from the startup disc and it's restoring from tome machine now. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't see the new hardrive for the install destination. I pondered for awhile and realized it needed to be formatted first via disc utility! Lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.