Re-installed Tiger, lost account - help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tpth, Nov 19, 2007.

1. tpth macrumors member

Hi, hoping someone can help with this. I've just re-installed Tiger, and lost my original user account in the process. Here's what happened:

- Was running 10.4.10
    - Put Tiger disc in DVD drive and selected "Archive and Install"
    - Archive and Install crashed twice during my install, rendering me unable to log in at all
    - Booted up my computer in Target Disc mode from my girlfriend's Mac
    - Ran Tiger DVD from her computer
    - Installer only gave me an option to Upgrade, which I did
    - When the install was complete, the Intro movie ran and prompted me to create a new account
    - Created new account, as there didn't seem to be any alternative... on booting I now can't access any of my old data

This is bad, as there's some stuff there I didn't back up. I've run Disk Utility to see how much space is used, and as far as I can see all the data is still there - ie. the same amount of disc space is still in use. I just can't get to it.

Basically what I want to do is get rid of this new account and just be able to log in via my own account. Problem is I have no idea how to do so. Any help much, much, much appreciated.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you log in as root user, can you see your account in the Users folder? In fact, can you see your old account in this new account's Users folder?

3. tpth thread starter macrumors member

Hey, thanks for the reply and sorry for the delayed response. I've managed to fix the problem... it seems the archived system was still there, but inacessible as a login from the new account. Dragging the old user folder from Previous Systems to the User folder and then creating a new account with the same name has magically restored my old system.

*wipes brow*

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nice work mate. It's a worry that happened in the first place though.