Re-installing directly onto external drive.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Mike Boreham, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

My Windows 10 Bootcamp is on an external drive, and I want to reinstall Windows. Mac is a 2016 Macbook.

I got here by initially installing Bootcamp on the internal with BCA, than later moving it to the external with Winclone. Since then I have created extra partitions on the internal, which means BCA wont work.

I could start all over, and repeat the same steps, but hoping I can reinstall directly onto the external, by making a bootable USB from the ISO...will this work?

Thanks

2. Mike Boreham thread starter macrumors 65816

I posted the above because Windows Insider build 15063 was announced in my Bootcamp on external, but then reported that it wasn't possible to install Windows on a USB flash drive using Setup. I was thinking I might try and install 15063 from the ISO.

I decided to move the BC volume to the internal using Winclone, but Insider Update gave the same message because the Winclone image had been made from an external. I found a regedit to correct this so now my Bootcamp is internal again and has 15063 installed. I probably could have applied the same regedit while it was on the external, but didn't know about then.

Bottom line....not looking for info about installing direct onto an external.