Re-installing iCal - if necessary

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macabouttobe, Feb 25, 2009.

1. macabouttobe macrumors regular

macabouttobe

K, maybe I'm going back to my window's fix-it days when re-installing was the fix.. But here's the deal..

I want to print March in my ical and the preview (and printout) has many items duplicated like 5-8 times on a particular day. Many are reccuring items are once a week etc that started back in January.. and they show up multiple times a day on the printout. The ical view on my iMac looks fine. In fact when I print out February it looks fine. Going into March is when things are all messed up.

There are no new March recurring items that didn't happen in Feburary. So... If anyone has a fix let me know. Other than that is it possible to re-install a particular program like iCal? Plz let me know how. I've done a total restore when I was getting errors on my hard drive through Time Machine so I'm not against a total restore, but I just want to know what steps I should take to just single out a single program like iCal.. Assuming that is the answer.

Thanks in advance to all of you mac elites.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I would try deleting the recurring item(s) that are causing the problem, recreating them, and seeing if that fixes the problem.

Also, I am curious as to whether the same issue occurs when you print the calendar to a PDF.

You can reinstall iCal if that becomes necessary, but it's not an especially easy process and probably not necessary. A reinstall of OSX is even less appropriate.

3. harry454 macrumors 6502

if worst comes to worst uninstall I cal then use the leopard install disc 2 to reinstall it

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

5. macabouttobe thread starter macrumors regular

macabouttobe

thanks for the input folks

I will try both, first re building the re-curring events, then un installing ical. The 2nd option-and probably obvious to the forum- but how do un-install a particular application? And I guess the next part is re-installing it. Plz walk Me thru. Wanting to completely remove my windows hat, clear my mind that there is an uninstall step, get my wife off my back because I got her to move off scribbling on a calendar on our fridge and go mac with her iphone and mobilme etc... I'm guessing I throw ical in the trash to uninstall- but how do I make sure I get my data back.

Thanks in advance!

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You have my advice, which doesn't include reinstalling iCal. I also asked some other questions, which you haven't answered, so it's difficult to help you any further.

7. macabouttobe thread starter macrumors regular

macabouttobe

Sorry, been on the road and was unable to be near my iMac to try your solutions out.

So this AM I went in, and everything is working fine on printing. I didn't change a thing! it was a problem for weeks! poof gone!

I can't put my finger on what may have happened and what the ultimate fix was. I did reboots trying to troubleshoot it weeks ago and that didn't fix it.

Case closed, but I'll know what to do if it ever happens again.

Thanks all,