Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
CA
i installed iMovie 6 but i want to revert back to iMovie 5... i deleted iMovie 6 (and I deleted my duplicate of it, although i didnt care if i deleted it or not since it just wasnt working out for me)... now though when i put in my os x bundled software install disc i cant install iMovie HD. someone please help :)

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
CA
anyone? i tried using pacifist but i cant find the imovie pkg on the install disc #1.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
CA
i dont think my ibook came with a restore disc, all i have here is os x install disc 1 and os x install disc 2. i cant seem to find the answer to my problem on these help pages. grrrrr.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
What exactly is wrong that you want to reinstall iMovie 5? Do you still have the iLife '05 disks? If so then just do a custom install using that disc and only install the old iMovie.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
CA
CoMpX said:
What exactly is wrong that you want to reinstall iMovie 5? Do you still have the iLife '05 disks? If so then just do a custom install using that disc and only install the old iMovie.

i had iLife '05 preinstalled on my iBook G4 when I bought it from the apple store 7 months ago.

i installed ilife '06 but i dont like imovie 6 so i deleted it and i'm trying to restore imovie 5 but it's not letting me select it from the mac os x install disc 1 (greyed out).

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
MUCKYFINGERS said:
i installed ilife '06 but i dont like imovie 6 so i deleted it and i'm trying to restore imovie 5 but it's not letting me select it from the mac os x install disc 1 (greyed out).

You didn't mention this before. I just thought you couldn't find it. I guess this is because there are probably still remnants of the latest iMovie on your disk. Have you used Spotlight to get rid of everything? :)

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
CA
this ibook here never had any problems with sluggishness or choppiness with iMovie 5 and now that i've installed an additional gb of ram using imovie 6 i thought i'd be fine but it doesnt work that well.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
CA
i am trying to run the install disc in os x... i didnt boot it up with the install disc.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
CA
okay, this isnt good. still not working.

so here's the situation, just to clarify:

1. have an ibook g4 that came pre installed with iLife '05.
2. upgraded to iLife '06 but can't stand iMovie 6.
3. deleted iMovie 6.
4. tried using mac os x install disc 1 to re install iMovie 5, but i keep getting either "there is nothing to install," or, unauthorized installation error.

:( anyone got any other ideas?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well, I'd go back to Pacifist and try to find that iMovie package so that you can bypass the traditional OS install method. Otherwise, maybe see if you can borrow an iLife 05 DVD from a friend. Sorry for not being very helpful. :eek:

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
CA
i just decided to reinstall imovie 6 and try to work around my problems.

for me, it just runs sluggishly and the transitions seem very buggy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.