Re-Installing Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by wrinkster22, Sep 3, 2013.

1. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I have a macbook air (2011) that I wish to re install Lion on. I am not sure how to do this. I want a clean install. However how do I keep my iPhoto the same? I have a external hard drive.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

When you got the machine you should have gone to the App Store and "accepted" your complimentary copies of iPhoto, Garageband, and iMovie. Open the App Store app now and make sure all three of those are listed in your purchased section. If they are, we are in good shape and can proceed.

Make sure you have a backup first. Just use Time Machine with your external disk.

Now do a command-r boot to the recovery screen. Start Disk Utility and select Macintosh HD and erase it. Then quit Disk Utility and click install OS and wait for the 4.7GB DL from Apple's servers. Once the install is done and the machine reboots you will be prompted to setup a new account.

After you login to your new account start the App Store app and login with your same AppleID. Go to the purchased tab and click to reinstall all three of the iLife apps I mentioned, including iPhoto.

This will give you a clean install with the iLife apps and no data.

3. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Just in case : if by "my iPhoto" you meant "you do I keep my photos the same" : all is in the "iPhoto Library" folder (~/Pictures/iPhoto Library).

In order to "keep your iPhoto the same", you just need to save your iPhoto Library, then copy it to your ~/Pictures folder after you have completed the clean install.

You can use Time Machine, however another choice is to do a clone of your Mac before you erase your Macintosh HD.

You can have a look here : http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1628940

4. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Thanks so much everyone. I dragged over my iPhoto library from finder onto my external. That way the next time I turn on iPhoto I can hit option to select the photo location.