Re installing Mac OS X Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spoogwiz, Jun 1, 2009.

1. spoogwiz macrumors newbie

I just bought a macbook pro from a friend, and he has TONS of applications on the mac currently, although its running a bit slow so im thinking about re installing the operating system. A few questions;

is there any way to back up the expensive applications he has on it? Such as microsoft works, and adobe cs3? Those are the only applications i need, and i dont want to re install the operating system and lose the applications? Get my flow? Can someone help me answer this?

Thanks !! :D

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Just do a backup in Time Machine. Then when you reinstall the OS, you can pick and choose things to restore, or try erasing all the apps you don't want and then just do a restore to a Time Machine backup, after the reinstall.

3. Dale Cooper macrumors regular

Dale Cooper

Will that keep Works and CS3 alive?

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    If you restore directly from a backup then yes.

5. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

You could also try pulling all the support files for each of those apps, and then put them back on the machine after the reinstall is complete. Unfortunately, there are a lot of them, and there's no telling where they could be. (I'd start with the Library though.)

6. i_never_existed macrumors newbie

i_never_existed

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Yes. Although it's kinda messy. You'd have to manually pull back Adobe apps, plus their library extensions, etc. Possible, by again, messy.

It you bought the pro from a friend, doesn't he have the Installation DVDs?

Anyway, good news on the new pro. Is it your first mac?

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

2 more things!!

1. Sorry for the typos. I'm on my iPhone, and it is not possible to edit a post once it's finished.

2. Why on EARTH do you want to use Microsoft orrifce, sorry office??

Use open office, or google docs, you could even use Apple's iWork... But if you don't need to make beauiful documents, amazing spreadsheets, and simply stunning presentations.. then yeah, download Microsoft office.

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....if he sold you the computer with the applications on it then he should have given you the discs (and the licenses). You can reinstall from those. If he didn't then what you are running is pirated software....oh yeah!