Re-installing OS 10.3 Panther on G4 733MHZ

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ionman, May 20, 2008.

1. Ionman macrumors newbie

I had issues where I couldn't start in normal mode in Panther, so decided to clean up, back up, wipe the HD and re-install. My problem hasn't gone away, just got worse.

I managed to install OS 9.2.1 & OS 10.0.4 from the four supplied disks, I then tried to install Panther from a boxed set which I had previously installed easily.

If I try to boot normally I get grey screen as OS 9 wants to start first, I can only boot by;
    Starting up by selecting a disk with the 'Option' key at start.
    choosing the Mac HD and hitting start with the shift key.
    It attempts to start OS 9 for a few seconds then opens OS 10. I then try to start Clasic however it goes through the process then goes to grey screen. I can have it go through the full boot but must have extentions OFF.

I need to get this fixed before I move onto installing Panther again which wouldn't install before, just shows me a panick screen.

Please help

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sounds like you might have a hardware issue. The most common cause of these kinds of kernel panic messages is bad RAM. Another possible cause is a failing hard disk.

3. Ionman thread starter macrumors newbie

not good news, I did use disk warrier to check & it didn't show up any issues. Is there any other posibilities or tricks to try?

4. Soulwar macrumors newbie

Soulwar

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25776

The kernel panic can also be caused by a software conflict.

Is there a reason to install OS 9? I would just start with Panther and do the Erase and Install option. (use the "zero" option as well) As long as your firmware is up to date, you really don't need OS 9 or 10.0.4.

5. Ionman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks heaps, I'll give that a go. I can't get the CD drive to open. if I try holding down the C key when restarting it appears to ignor it. Can it be done from a USB2 drive? If so which key would I use to start from that drive?

6. Soulwar macrumors newbie

Soulwar

Hold down the mouse button during restart. It should eject (open) the cd drive.

7. Ionman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again, I've tride to boot from the C drive with disk 1 of panther but only get blue screen after a few moments of the OS X greay start up screen. Tried to boot from C by using the Options, then choose install disc 1, same outcome. Treid with shift key held and get kernal panic. I'm assuming kernal panic is a conflict of some kind however how do I see the conflick and resolve? I though starting from the install disk would be void of conflicts etc.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

This definitely sounds like a hardware problem. First off if you still have the hardware diagnostics CD I would try booting off of that and run the hardware tests.

If you can not boot off of that remove all hardware upgrades. You should just have your Video card, Hard Drive, CD Drive, Mouse, Keyboard, RAM, Powersupply, CPU and Monitor connected to your motherboard. If you still can not boot remove all the RAM chips except one then keep swapping RAM modules into different slots until and hope your computer will boot (this is too rule out faulty memory or memory slots causing boot issues).

9. Ionman thread starter macrumors newbie

Strangly I was able to boot with diskwarrior on a USB2 drive, I've errased the hd again and am trying to bood from Panther install in the USB2 drive, painfully slow at the moment. I am able to boot from OS X back up which is on a firewire drive but only in safe mode. would this mean a ram chip may be faulty?

10. Soulwar macrumors newbie

Soulwar

Bad ram can cause the problems mentioned. Have you tried velocityg4's suggestions?
    Also, double check that the HDD doesn't need repaired with Disk Utility.
    Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck

Try the Apple Hardware test.
    If you need the test...
    Apple Hardware Test Images

I'd agree with it sounding like a hardware issue.

11. Ionman thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, booted from the apple hardware test disk, unplugged all devices except mon, keyboard and Mouse, ran test and all resulted in 'passed'.
    What I don't understand is that I can boot from diskwarrior and the hardware test disks but can't seem to boot from the install disks. I've tried from Panther in c-drive and USB2 remote drive, tried with original OS 9 install disks and keep getting the same thing, it goes to greay screen after a few moments. When I boot with Panther back-up which is on an external firwire drive it works like a treat though I need to start it in safe mode. How would this indicate a hardware problem?

12. Ionman thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, beats me what the problem was. I've pulled all the RAM chips out one at a time and rebooted each time, with no changes. They are all back in and I was I was able to boot and install origianl OS and am now installing Pantha. Perhaps the removing and reincerting the RAM chips has done something, but it's been a learning curve. After Panther's onboard I might need some further advise on getting all my e-mail folders etc back from the back up drives.

Well thanks for everyone's asssitance.

cheers
    Ion

13. Soulwar macrumors newbie

Soulwar

Sounds like something may have come loose. Looks like you've solved it for now.
    Good Luck!