Re-installing OS / Archive and Install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by michaelsviews, Apr 12, 2009.

1. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Happy Easter to All

A while back there was a thread on Archive and install " Cant find it on a search " but anyways. I'd like to do a clean install of the OS and bring over the applications needed, WHY? to me the system seems to be getting bogged down , mite be me also. Question is , is that I have dual boot installed to windows for gaming. Is the new install going to hose that? and would I have to reinstall bootcamp and the whole windows thing again?

I was also thinking maybe some program that would go through and clean out old unnecessary files, but that's the old windows in me coming out from years past.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Archive & Install is a repair option for vexing problems that are difficult to diagnose. seems to be getting bogged down does not qualify as a vexing problem. A lot of Windows refugees believe that reinstalling the OS is a first line of defense. On MacOS X, it is usually a waste of time.

There best thing that you can do to improve the performance of your Mac is to ensure that your hard drive has at least 10% of its capacity available as free space. If 10% of your hard drive capacity is free, then you should give useful information about your system. With useful information, someone who knows what they are talking about may be able to help you.

3. MAGICMAN320 macrumors member

help

I only have 3 gb out of 80gb available on my Macintosh HD. What should i do.?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are way under the 10% free hard drive space threshold. If you have the money, then I would recommend replacing your hard drive will a higher capacity unit. Others may recommend adding a high-capacity external unit and then moving your data over to new drive. If you can't afford a new drive, then you will have to archive your old data and then remove it from your boot drive. Thing is, archive capacity costs money. It would appear that there is no way for you to solve your problem without stimulating our economy.

5. MAGICMAN320 macrumors member

I have an external 500 gb HD. someone will have to guide me thru what to do.
    Im basically ready o do a clean install of tiger. Leopard seems to be too slow.