Re-installing OS

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aaronoafc, Dec 21, 2012.

1. aaronoafc macrumors newbie

Would re-installing the OS on Lion (using either recovery HD or install disk) keep files on the hard drive (like desktop folders etc) or would it completely wipe the system?

2. jaggunothing macrumors regular

jaggunothing

If you do a clean install it will format and wipe all the data before putting the OS back. Easiest way is to use the Time Machine to back up and then do the install. You just need a compatible hard disk.

3. Spikeywan macrumors 6502

Ooh! That's a point. I got no disks with my rMPB. What do I do about disaster recovery?

Can I download the OS, and create an installation disk?

Can I create a recovery or installation disk from my MBP?

4. aaronoafc thread starter macrumors newbie

So best bet would be to back everything up using time machine to an external disk, wipe the OS using internet recovery + reinstall using internet recovery (is that right?) then restore from time machine backup on external drive?

5. 1member1 macrumors 6502

wondering too.. why there is no usb for it :D

6. robvas macrumors 68020

Because you can do it over the internet.

7. 1member1 macrumors 6502

lets say my OS crashed and i need to repair it. i do not have net at all :< what then ? I'm not famillier with mac OS installations only with windows.

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If you have a slow internet service, low bandwidth caps, installing a new HDD (or SSD) or simply want a USB OSX installer. Use this utility to make one.

http://blog.gete.net/lion-diskmaker-us/

You'll need at least an 8GB USB flash drive.

9. jaggunothing macrumors regular

jaggunothing

I have created a USB install drive and that worked well for the re-install. Did not want to take chance with the internet connection and hence opted to download first, then create a install disk. Once it was re-installed used Time Machine to set up.

10. warpaint91 macrumors newbie

Please

Sorry i dont mean to sound like an idiot but i really really really need and answer

So i wiped my HD disc and basically returned my macbook factory settings
    once all installed and pretty much brand new even had the animated 'welcome' space intro im not tech savvy but i thought that meant its all new.
    tried to update and for some reason i cannot update my OSX and a lot things right down to the tuxedo registration thing in finder cannot connect to the internet but i am connected because im using my mac to type this.

im running mac OS X version 10.6

any further information required ill do my best to give it

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

First, you should start your own thread instead of jacking someone else's.

But since you're already here, what exact version of OS X do you have running, on what computer, you can find both out in the "about this mac" menu.

Let us know.