Re installing OSX Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Oktober, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Oktober macrumors regular

Tomorrow I want to reinstall Tiger, as a fresh installation. But I am unsure what I need to do - step by step would be good :)

I have an external hdd where I will back up all I need to, so thats not a problem.

So if someone can point me in the direction of a guide or tell me, I would be most grateful. Thank you.

Darren

2. nerdish macrumors regular

Back up all your files you wish to keep, and its as simple as putting your OS Install disk in the drive, reboot and when you hear the "bong" sound, keep your finger on the option button and select to boot from the DVD drive..

Its pretty much self explanatory from there!

Good luck.

3. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

A step-by-step guide would include the fact that you have a number of options once you have put in the Tiger install disc.

I'll copy and past from Apple site:

if you click Options on the "Select a Destination" window, an installation sheet will appear asking you to choose between Install Mac OS X, Archive and Install, or Erase and Install. Select a method, then click OK to continue.

Install Mac OS X choice

This installs Mac OS X for the first time on a disk that does not have Mac OS X currently installed.

Archive and Install choice

This option moves existing system files to a folder named Previous System, and then installs a new copy of Mac OS X. This option is available only for volumes with Mac OS X already installed. Usually, if you select this method, you will want to also select (check) "Preserve Users and Network Settings" which imports existing user accounts, home folders, and your network settings into the new system.

Erase and Install

If you want to erase your disk before installing Mac OS X Leopard, select this option then click OK. Important: This option erases the entire disk, so make sure you've backed up your important files first.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

5. Oktober thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies guys.

Reason I asked this question on here as it was easier to get the answer I wanted and google can be a bit of a mine field when trying to find information yo want.

6. Oktober thread starter macrumors regular

All done. It was actually rather easy. I chose option 3 - Erase and Install and it all worked perfectly, well I knew it would :)

Just done all the updates and so far *touches wood* everything is fine.

Thanks again for the bit of info I needed. It was far easier to install Tiger than it ever was for Win XP.