Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
houston
im running OSX 10.2.2 and i have been having some big system errors. i get the beach ball occasionally for 5-6 minutes and in the last week have had to force the computer off at least three times. I tried repairing permissions etc and nothing...i think the answer may be to re-install OSX (i got my TiBook with OSX 10.1 installed and the upgrade to jaguar on CD with it).

Anybody have advice on how to go about re-installing? ive been told that you can do a re-install without deleting your files...though i am inclined to just wipe the drive and start over...is that a ad idea? and how should i go about it?

THANX!

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Personally, I would wipe the hard drive and install 10.2. Was your drive partitioned? This is exactly why you should have more than one partition, so you can wipe your OS partition and reinstall whenever you need to. I would create a partition of at least 5GB for OSX, and then put everything else that you can (any apps you install, MP3s, etc.) on the other partition. As far as I know you can't configure iPhoto to store your photo library anywhere other than your home directory though, so you're stuck with that (if you need to wipe the OS partition you just copy the iPhoto library to the other partition and then copy it back when you're done reinstalling - works like a charm).

Just make sure to save all the data you want to keep before you wipe the drive!

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
houston
guess wiping probably is the best way...though ive never wiped a Mac HD b4. hopefully installing 10.1 then upgrading it with the 10.2 CD will not introduce too many issues. Does the install CD allow you to partition on install or just do it after the OS is installed? (on windoze machines i try to use a third party program)

guess i will just see how it goes haha

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
Use the Jaguar disks, they can do a fresh install. Don't mess with 10.1. And another thing, all you have to do is alias to your iPhoto library on a remote drive, and it will be as if they are in your home drive.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by uhlawboi80
guess wiping probably is the best way...though ive never wiped a Mac HD b4. hopefully installing 10.1 then upgrading it with the 10.2 CD will not introduce too many issues. Does the install CD allow you to partition on install or just do it after the OS is installed? (on windoze machines i try to use a third party program)

guess i will just see how it goes haha

When you're in the Installer, there will be a menu option for "Open Disk Utility". Go to the Partition tab and it should be self explanatory.

Are you sure your 10.2 "upgrade" CD won't let you do a full install? It's worth a try - it'll save you some time...

Fezwick

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
Rhode Island
Originally posted by lmalave

When you're in the Installer, there will be a menu option for "Open Disk Utility". Go to the Partition tab and it should be self explanatory.

Are you sure your 10.2 "upgrade" CD won't let you do a full install? It's worth a try - it'll save you some time...

The upgrade CD for jag wont allow you to install it, only upgrade from 10.1. But, there is a way to get around it.

http://ambitiouslemon.com/funmac/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13

Cheers to Mac15 for figuring it out.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by Billicus
Use the Jaguar disks, they can do a fresh install. Don't mess with 10.1. And another thing, all you have to do is alias to your iPhoto library on a remote drive, and it will be as if they are in your home drive.

Sweet. Thanks for the tip! I gotta start using aliases more...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.