Re-installing some apps after resetting a mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by klee5533, Mar 24, 2015.

1. klee5533 macrumors newbie

Hello MacRumors fellas! I hope everyone is doing great :)

I am trying to revive 2007 white Mac with Snow Leopard by resetting the OS X completely, and yes, I know my Mac is very old... It's going to be a tough journey, and I would really appreciate some help.

So far, I got an external hard drive and partitioned it; I used one part of it as Time Machine, and another part of it as file storage. I backed up my entire Mac using Time Machine, and moved important files that I want ASAP once I restore my Mac. Then I ran into this problem -- what do I do with certain applications like Microsoft Office (I have 2008 version...haha) and Photoshop that require product key and/or CD?

So I was wondering if...
    1) I can either partially reset my Mac and save some applications,
    2) Save these applications and re-install them after reset,
    3) re-downloading from App Store is possible?

Or if there is really anything else I can do, please share your wisdom with me! I would really appreciate it :)

Ya all take care!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Explain what you mean by reset. Reset as understood by the average OS X user has nothing to do with software installation. It has to do with certain hardware settings. Wiping your OS will leave your data and applications intact. You need only reinstall applications if you have affirmatively deleted them individually or completely wiped or replaced your hard drive.

3. klee5533 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, MisterMe!

I wanted to completely wipe out my Mac and start everything over -- thought it would clear lot of junks out.

Could you elaborate on "Wiping your OS will leave your data and applications intact" part a bit more, if you don't mind? I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing.

Thanks!

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

OP: term is Clean Install
    MM: OS reinstall

If you do the Clean Install, you will need all your application CDs and product keys. If you don't have them, you will not be able to prove ownership and get them reinstalled. You will have to purchase them anew.

If you just reinstall the OS, you don't need those.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Let me begin by saying that wiping your Mac and starting over is a waste of time. This is intended for a vexing problem that cannot be fixed any other way. "Clearing out junk" does not qualify.

As for the question that you asked, OS X has a very modular setup. Each user account, settings, applications, and data are confined to specific folders on your Mac. Your OS is confined to another folder. In the very rare event of a catastrophically damaged OS, the OS can be reinstalled with absolutely no effect on your user account, settings, applications, or data.

When you reboot after having reinstalled OS X following catastrophic OS damage, your computer will appear as though nothing happened. All of your documents, web browser history, and such like will look like they did the last time you successfully logged in.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sure it does, while its not an issue like Windows, there are lots of cruft that gets built up in the various directories. Clean install is a good way to start fresh again.

OP, a clean install, wipes everything off your computer, you reformat it, and then you need to reinstall your apps and data (be sure to have a backup)

You can reinstall the OS, and leave your home directory and apps alone, but then you completely mitigate the benefits of a clean install. This process does not really do anything.

Before you begin, make sure you have a current backup. Product keys for all your apps, and the installs of your applications saved somewhere or the DVD/CDs of them.

7. klee5533 thread starter macrumors newbie

What Maflynn described is what exactly I am trying to do. However, since I don't have a Microsoft Office 2008 CD (I do have the product key though) and since it is a freaking old app I don't think I can even re-download it. That's why I asked if I can ever partially reformat my Mac or something.

At this point I don't think there is a way though... I'll figure something out.

Thanks a lot for your help and time, guys!
    :)

----------

Unless there is a way to save the apps on my external hard drive...? I thought that was not possible. Can I back them up just like how I back up the normal files?

8. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

9. klee5533 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha I did but I was looking and hoping for an official one... But thanks a lot! :)

10. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Cnet is good. No worries downloading from them.

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Only if you don't mind dealing with adware.

12. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP:

If I was in your position, I'd do this:

- Use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to create a bootable backup onto an external drive
    - Boot from the backup drive
    - Reinitialize the internal drive using Disk Utility
    - Install a "clean copy" of the OS of your choice onto the internal drive (may require an original installation DVD or a download of the installer)
    - Reboot (on the internal drive again), and when the setup process prompts you to connect an external drive to migrate your files, select the backup drive and let the setup assistant use the cloned copy.
    - Finally, run software update to bring the newly-installed OS "up to current"...

13. charlyham macrumors regular

charlyham

You can download the Office for Mac software from here:
    http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/techno...72-office-2008-for-mac-direct-download-links#

I use this site all the time when I need install media for Microsoft Products that I have Product Keys for. If you don't have a Product Key you will not be able to complete the installation/activation of these products though. This is not pirated software, just the install media.