Re-installing tiger on a macbook pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JudasX, Jan 9, 2008.

1. JudasX macrumors newbie

Hey guys.

Since I got my Macbook Pro 6 months ago, I've installed a lot of software just to test it out and have slowly learned the intricate nature of the OS X platform and its differences to microsoft. I'm about to install both eyeTV and Toast Titanium, and I want my machine/OS to be clean and ready to handle these programs.

I want a fresh start on my computer. I use SuperDuper and a 500GB external hard drive, so not only do I have a bootable clone of my current hard drive, but I also have all my vitals (music, documents and so forth) backed up.

So I have a few questions.
    1. What are the negatives of erasing my hard drive and reinstalling from the ground up?
    2. Is Disk Utility the best way to erase my drive (I assume I won't be able to erase while using the same hard drive)
    3. Is there anything I'm missing that should be backed up as well as my important docs?

Thanks guys - any stories and our advice would be greatly appreciated!! I'm hoping to reinstall by the time my next semester starts on monday!!!

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You don't need to clean install just to add a couple of applications. Just install the applications, and forget about reinstalling OSX.

3. JudasX thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I want to get rid of a lot of old .plist files, a few applications, and some changes I made involving permissions, icons and the like. Plus, I have some updates to garageband and the like that I would like to undue. After months of hardcore use and a lot of install cycles, a fresh OS wouldn't hurt

4. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

1. The negatives are just what you would think they are. Namely, it takes time, all the information and system settings you have are lost and need to be entered again, etc.

2. Disk utility is the correct utility to use, however you will need to access it from the install dvd b/c as you noted you can't run off off the OS loaded on hdd when trying to erase it.

3. Just back up anything you want to save, but why would you do a clean install then?

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It won't help either. Everything else you mention can be accomplished easily without reinstalling. This is one of the big differences between the Mac and Windows.

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

1. Its a pain in the ass and pretty much unneccesary.
    2. Yes
    3. Backup what's important to you.

Believe me, your MBP most likely has no slowdowns yet. Repair permissions and scan your drive and you're in great shape.
    EDIT: Why not just uninstall Garageband and reinstall it?