Re-Installing Windows XP without using Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Robbouk, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Robbouk macrumors newbie

Robbouk

Hi all.

Just a quick question.

I currently have Mac OS 10.4.11 with windows XP on a bootcamp partition. The Windows XP installation is now coming up with errors on startup, something about Windows File Protection.

I was wondering, if I put my XP CD in, start the setup and choose the Windows Partition to be formatted and installed to, will this work or do I need to re-partition the machine using Bootcamp?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You generally don't need to reinstall Windows XP to fix WFP errors. Putting in the CD, then telling it what drive the files it's looking for are located should be enough. Should that fail, you can boot from the Windows XP disc and start the recovery console to get your system up and running.

3. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Yes. That will work.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Once you get your WinXP installation fixed, you might want to use WinClone to make a backup. Must be a NTFS Partition for WinClone to work.

Then if you have problems, using WinClone you can delete the Bootcamp partition, create a new Bootcamp partition then restore Windows XP.

Works well.

5. Robbouk thread starter macrumors newbie

Robbouk

That's great, thanks for all the suggestions.

Will go ahead and re-install, set it up how I want then clone it using WinClone. Always used Carbon Copy Cloner on Mac OS, but never could find a Windows version.

Thanks again!