Re-jailbreaking 3G 16Gb on 4.0

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by 13ms13, Aug 26, 2010.

1. 13ms13 macrumors member

I have an iPhone 3G 16Gb on 4.0, jailbroken and unlocked. I jailbroke it with Redsn0w pretty much immediately after 4.0 came out and iBooks doesn't work properly, YouTube app videos keep erroring out and, what annoys me the most, I have a lot f troubles with my 3G connection, so I want to restore/re-jailbreak. What would be my best bet? Upgrade to 4.02 and use Redsn02 or is there some better way, like somehow upgrading to 4.01 and using jailbreakme 2.0? Please note that I have to be able to unlock my phone after jailbreaking. Cydia says I have my 4.0 and 4.01 SHSHs saved although I don't know where the files are located. Thanks for taking the time to answer!

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Restore the phone to whatever firmware you want to use 4.0, 4.01 or 4.02. Choose set up as new, do not restore to backup to get rid of jailbreak issues.
    Understand, the a 3G isn't gonna run very well on 4.x.x firmware as it's resources are outdated. You can turn off backgrounds, multi-tasking and spotlight searches to speed it up.
    Use Redsnow pointed at 4.0 IPSW to jailbreak.

3. 13ms13 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! Yeah, I'm definitely going to disable multitasking this time :D I also don't need backgrounds. I have already turned off spotlight.

How do I restore my iPhone to 4.0 or 4.01 (also, which firmware do you suggest)? iTunes won't let me do that, will it? Or will option-clicking on the "Restore" button and then choosing your own firmware work?

4. celticpride678

That should work on a 3G. It's worth a try.