Re-Learning Programming

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by HW-Hack, Oct 13, 2010.

1. HW-Hack macrumors newbie

OK - Briefly

As a HW tech back in '89 I was doing a lot of programming classes as I toyed with getting a CS degree. Basic - Assembler - Pascal - and a smidge of C. Really enjoyed it - I then got a chance to help develop HW at a major corp. and that was my focus for 17yrs.

As I slide thru my 50's I now have a fun job doing IT support at a large high school. And as we piloted some iPads this last Summer I began thinking I should revive my coding skills. My insights into K12 may help develop apps for that market.

I've gleaned some info on whats needed - but my first step I feel should be really getting a solid foundation in C. I'm looking at working thru a standard C tutorial and then C++ ... at which point I should be ready for C-Objective.

I'm not in a huge hurry and I feel I need a solid foundation to write solid apps.
    Your input appreciated -

2. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

If iPad or anything Apple is your target, I think you'd better skip C++ and go direct to Obj-C to learn OOP.

3. xStep macrumors 68000

I second Bernard's opinion.

There are many threads here regarding learning iOS and Mac OS X. I suggest you review some of those.

A common book suggested is "Programming in Objective-C 2.0" because it is for people starting from scratch. Check it out.

4. Sykte macrumors regular

Sticky... IMO.

I like.

So many people rush in learning.

5. HW-Hack thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks much for the comments and the book recommendation. Sometime today UPS will drop off the Mac Mini I got off of ebay. Slap in a new larger hard drive and start coding.