"Re-lock" iPhone to AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by isaaclimdc, Jul 27, 2009.

1. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

Hi all,

I currently live in Bangkok and so have an old unlocked 2G iPhone (the very first one). However, I'm coming to the U.S. this fall for just 4 months and want to be on the AT&T network (for the unlimited data plan). Can I 're-lock' my iPhone and activate it legitimately by signing up for a contractless AT&T plan? I don't want to jailbreak/unlock it so that I don't have to keep restoring for firmware upgrades.

Also, AT&T's "data plan network" refers to both EDGE and 3G right? So my original iPhone will work on EDGE right?

Thanks for any help.

2. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

If it is factory unlocked, then you will have no problem joining AT&T or T-Mobile in the States.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Just click "restore" in iTunes and it will become relocked/unjailbroken, and the data plan will be for edge, since the 1st gen iPhone is edge only. :)

4. isaaclimdc thread starter macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

Great. Thanks for the speedy replies.

So, what I can do is get the monthly data plan and a prepaid voice package? I can't get those 450 nationwide packages because they're on 2-year contracts right?

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

I believe as long as you already have the phone you shouldn't have to sign a contract. Usually they only make you sign a contract if you get a cheap subsidized phone. But you already have one, so there should be no need for a contract.

6. isaaclimdc thread starter macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

Ok great. Sounds good! I so want an iPhone 3GS but won't be able to because of the ETF right?

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

If you can pay the EFT then do it. Otherwise I would look online or on craigslist to find a 3G S to buy without a contract.

8. isaaclimdc thread starter macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

Okay thanks for the replies. I'll go evaluate my options.

9. dave006 macrumors 68020

The offical AT&T answer is that you can't have the iPhone data plan or use an iPhone on a GoPhone (Pre-Paid) plan.

You might be best served to just keep your iPhone unlocked and just add the $19.99 100 MB data plan.

Source: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...?wtSlotClick=1-0025SG-0-2&WT.svl=calltoaction

Dave

10. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

AT&T told me that you can't do post paid unless you agree to a two year commitment. Even if you already have the phone.

11. dave006 macrumors 68020

That depends on the rate plan you select.

You can get a month to month rate plan without a two year service commitment. However not all rate plans are offered on a month to month plan, most require a two year service commitment.

What rate plan are you trying to get?

Dave

12. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

13. dave006 macrumors 68020

Hmm, that is not a rate plan, that is a data plan (feature). What voice rate plan would you be using with the iPhone data plan?

For example; any of the voice rate plans with Rollover minutes or the FamilyTalk rate plans require a two year commitment.

Note: Before anyone chimes in that they got one of these without a two year commitment, then lucky for you but the AT&T MyCSP says otherwise. Your individual experience will and does vary based on the rep.

Dave