Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Surprised this thread didn't get more traction - are people ok with dictation and DND f5+f6 keys?

im still loving the adjustment and finding KB brightness for those much better (the old way)

Reactions: rocketbuc

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I guess it comes down to how many people find keyboard brightness to be worthy of a keyboard assignment.

Even if I had a lighted keyboard (since I don't have a MBA/MBP, it's not a thing), it wouldn't matter much to me. I rarely use my Macs in dim/dark light and as a touch typist I rarely look at the keyboard at all. The chances I'd be disappointed by the default brightness setting seem remote to me.

On my Apple Magic Keyboard there's no default assigned to either F5 or F6. I can't say I'd find dictation or DND useful additions either. But for that matter I rarely use most of the F row - most of the time it's to un-do an accidental press of an F row key, so if the F row had no default assignments at all I'd probably be ahead of the game.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I love the DND button. If I really want to alter the keyboard backlight, it's easily accessible in Control Center, 1 click away.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I guess it comes down to how many people find keyboard brightness to be worthy of a keyboard assignment.

Even if I had a lighted keyboard (since I don't have a MBA/MBP, it's not a thing), it wouldn't matter much to me. I rarely use my Macs in dim/dark light and as a touch typist I rarely look at the keyboard at all. The chances I'd be disappointed by the default brightness setting seem remote to me.

On my Apple Magic Keyboard there's no default assigned to either F5 or F6. I can't say I'd find dictation or DND useful additions either. But for that matter I rarely use most of the F row - most of the time it's to un-do an accidental press of an F row key, so if the F row had no default assignments at all I'd probably be ahead of the game.
So far the change hasn’t bothered me. For me keyboard backlight brightness is a set and forget kind of thing.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
This looks great, but I've tried doing this on my M1 Max, and it just doesn't seem to work. Does anyone here have any ideas?

I updated to Monterey and the f5+f6 are still kb brightness up and down but not sure about cleanly applying it to Monterey that doesnt already have this modification

vemac575

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2018
I updated to Monterey and the f5+f6 are still kb brightness up and down but not sure about cleanly applying it to Monterey that doesnt already have this modification
So I got a new mac and did this on it and it worked great and I'm happy with it, but now the F1 and F2 keys won't change display brightness. Any ideas? It will make it go up and down only one block. I've tried everything I can think of and am out of ideas...

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
So I got a new mac and did this on it and it worked great and I'm happy with it, but now the F1 and F2 keys won't change display brightness. Any ideas? It will make it go up and down only one block. I've tried everything I can think of and am out of ideas...

Thats odd no clue sorry

vemac575

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2018
Thats odd no clue sorry
Changing the file back to normal doesn't change it back, so I don't know what the hell is going on. Why the hell would the display brightness keys only change the top most block and it doesn't reflect in the system settings slider?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
ah, this does not seem to work on my M1 air in ventura. wish apple would, at least, give us a choice. i need neither dictation nor focus. aargh

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
ah, this does not seem to work on my M1 air in ventura. wish apple would, at least, give us a choice. i need neither dictation nor focus. aargh

thats weird. the changes carried over fine on 13.0 RC for me. f5 and f6 still control keyboard brightness for me.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
thats weird. the changes carried over fine on 13.0 RC for me. f5 and f6 still control keyboard brightness for me.
so it goes. i've already adapted to having the menu bar item (hidden by default by bartender), and have gotten used to the keyboard dimming on it's own after a few minutes.

apple changes things up, and we adapt... sometimes after much whining and ranting (am including myself in that)

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
so im not really sure why creating plist failed (tried to re-create the steps from some time ago), but I just zipped the working one on another machine and extracted it to my 2023 M2 15" Air that's on 13.5.2 Ventura, rebooted, and this worked beautifully. hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• com.local.KeyRemapping.plist.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 56
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.