Re:MBR XP Issues

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by djsanjeev, Jun 5, 2009.

1. djsanjeev macrumors newbie

Hi All

I have a Mac Book Pro Santa Rosa 17"

I upgraded the internal HD to a Samsung M6 500 GB & partitioned it to

160 Gb OS X Leopard
    300 GB XP SP3

(Since boot camp formats only in FAT 32,on Windows XP setup i reformatted it to NTFS.Everything was working fine .Mac wont recognize the XP boot volume but i could boot and work in windows holding the options key)

Recently the hard disk connector to the motherboard failed
    I took out the HD and installed it in a external USB to recover the files

Upon booting from the USB disk my mac book pro would boot into OS X leopard & I could access all the files on my XP NTFS partion as well

But when holding the options key on boot I would not give me the option of Windows.

I thought that the Boot.ini file was corrupt along with the MBR(hoping to boot into XP for the USB drive)
    SO i booted with my Win XP cd and 1st did a Boot fix and then a MBR fix using the recovery console.WIndows did warn me that this was a special partition but i still went on with the fix

Now my windows partition has totally dissapeared.Whereas earlier i could see the XP partiton on booting from OSX now the partition is gone.
    I can see the C: partition on Active partition recovery in my other Desktop Xp

Please help me with a fix of MBR for boot camp windows

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Boot camp makes a padded partition that is I believe 200MB in size, and empty. So it goes Mac partition 160GB, 200MB unformatted padding, 320GB Windows. I deleted the 200MB padding partition when repartitioning the drives for Windows install, and it screwed everything up like you are explaining.