re: memtest86+

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gramps416, Mar 29, 2012.

1. gramps416, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

gramps416 macrumors member

hello
    I just installed 16gb of mushkin RAM in a early 2011 MBP.

i ran memtest86+ v4.2
    i am not sure if I did something incorrectly or i got a bad module.

i got an error
    "unexpected interrupt-halting"
    pass 0%
    test 10%.
    the error took a fraction of a second.
    any knowledge in this area?
    -gramps

2. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I'm running this one right now. It has been running for close to an hour now. Try that one and see if you get anything different.

3. gramps416 thread starter macrumors member

i don't want to start OSX with bad ram, if it is. i have also heard that the standard memtest 86 is not always friendly with sandy bridge.

4. gramps416 thread starter macrumors member

spend 1 hour doing that. no conclusive answers for someone without advanced hardware knowledge

5. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I just spent a minute searching and it says if you are getting that error, then the problem is not with your RAM but with something else.

I also found this post.

Sorry I can't help much more. Good luck!

6. gramps416 thread starter macrumors member

I'm sorry, but that does not translate, it is speculation that i am having the same problem. the errors are based on memtest86 not memtest86+, from what i read.
    it's okay, we are all trying to help each other the best we can.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

http://osxdaily.com/2011/05/03/memtest-mac-ram-test/

you have tried this as well?

8. gramps416 thread starter macrumors member

i have not, randy98mtu illuded to that program. there seems to be an inconcistancy of the program working with sandy bridge CPUs. it is also run in the command line, inside OSX

plus, i am hesitant to boot into OSX before i get an answer, fearing a change in startup settings? not sure about that.

9. Category 5 macrumors member

Use techtool or something from within OSX instead. Memtest86+ will not work on macbook pros. It will always give the answer you got. memory is likely fine.

10. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I ran such diags.

They passed without incident.

Memtest did find a failure, during the third pass.

Given that idle temps with the 16GB were 10C higher than with the 8GB I've been running with, I wasn't surprised when Memtest finally discovered something. But I won't be using internal diags for testing RAM in the future.

The more RAM one has, the longer it runs and especially for the number of ideal passes (3 or more, IMHO).

11. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Just grab Hiren's BootCD and boot off the disc to run memtest+.

You can grab it here.

I use memtest+ version 4.42 (I think, it is 4.4 something) on an older version of Hirens.

Just this past two weeks I had friends with new machines and bad memory.

Also, don't think you can run memtest for like a few hours and get a good read. You really need to run it for a full 24 hours to test memory. Defective chips or silicon will show up right away. However, if you have a bit parity issue due to heat or extreme stress a few passes will never show it.

I had a pair of 8 GB G.Skill Sticks in a desktop (total of 16 GB of memory) would BSOD Windows after a few hours of use. I first thought a motherboard issue because the memory kept passing memtest+ hour after hours after hour, etc... I let it run over night and it started to fail after about 10 hours. I RMA'd them with NewEgg.

I put the new memory in, booted Hirens, and ran it for 24 hours straight. Not a single issue. Machine has been running fine since.

You just don't screw around with memory. You buy, install, and test for 24 hours. It is worth the effort to make sure you can depend on it and not chase BSOD or KPs that you can't explain...

-P