Re-occuring kernal panic with latest update. Cant boot.

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by nmack, Mar 14, 2015.

1. nmack, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015

nmack macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Newbie here, I've searched through the forums and couldnt find a solution.

My iMac attempted to update the latest security update (10.10) on Thursday the 12th of March 2015. Upon restart I get kernal panic. This occurs very early in the boot cycle (Process 1 of exec of /sbin/launchd failed errno 2 ...)

Out of all the booting options the only one that doesnt crash is the Recovery Mode. However in recovery mode it seems to be Internet Recovery only.

Disk utility says there is nothing wrong with my HD. When I try to select the option to install OS X I get an error message that reads like

'You are unable to install to this drive as the drive contains a newer version of the OS"

What I believe the Internet Recovery is trying to do is install the original version of the OS (Mavericks) that came with the iMac. This doesn't make sense as I had the latest version of Yosemite install on the computer.

What are my options? I'd prefer not to do a clean install.

Hardware tests show that there are no problems
    trying to reset the PRAM fails (hangs for 8hrs + at about 30%)

Q2) Should I create a new partition off my main HD and attempt to install the OS to the new partition? Is that possible?

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Curious about when you say you reset PRAM. Just to clarify, you held down CMD-OPTION-P-R when you are booting and did this until you heard 2 bong sounds? The reason I ask is because I don't remember seeing anything on the screen that shows any sort of progress indicator for PRAM reset. There is a progress indicator shown for safe boot.

Something got corrupted on your hard drive. It could also be a hardware issue with your hard drive. I think creating a second partition and installing Yosemite on it is your best option at this point.

3. nmack thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks mate for your advice.

I tried with the CMD-OPTION-P-R and I dont get to the stage where I hear any sounds, I just have a progress bar that stalls at about 30%. Either way I'll make a bootable USB, try to get my PII data off the HD and then do a clean install