"re-order" Settings Page?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bzollinger, Jul 16, 2009.

1. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

I've searched all over the net and can't find any info on this so it probably doesn't exist, but I'll ask anyway.

Does anyone know how to change the order in which items are listed on the settings page? I want to move the "phone" setting selection more towards the top.

I forward my phone everyday, then cancel the forwarding everynight. As it is I have to scroll down to the phone setting to get to the forwarding option. It would be nice if it was toward the top so that I could access it directly from the second that the settings page opens.

Would jailbreaking allow me to do this?

thanks,
    BZ

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Without jailbreaking, so. Post Jailbreak, I haven't seen an app which does that.

3. iArrudaG macrumors regular

iArrudaG

I have never seen any jailbreak app that let's you do this, but that's just me.

4. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

So maybe with jailbreaking, and most likely not without?

5. DavidFL macrumors member

Try this!

You can't change the order of the settings screen, but you can make call forwarding much easier.

Rather than using settings, you can create a contact (or multiple contacts). I have one called Forward All Calls. For the telephone number in the contact, use:

*21*XXXYYYZZZZ# example *21*8005551212#

where the numbers obviously represent the number you are forwarding to.

Now, add contact to your "favorites" in the phone app.

Instead of activating forwarding through Settings, just select the favorite and "dial" the number.

It will come up with a screen showing that call forwarding has been activated.

To cancel forwarding, the code is simply

#21#

(I have another favorite to Unforward.)

You can create as many forwarding numbers as you want, i.e., you could have one for Home, Office, Girlfriend, Boyfriend, whatever.

You can make them as high up on your "favorites" list as you want, by just reordering your favorites.

I think these are standard GSM codes, so it should work for any carrier, but I can only vouch for ATT. Give it a try...hope this helps.

6. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

I've never heard of anything that allows you to do that.

I think it's cause everyone doesn't mind scrolling two inches down. No offense, I don't see why it should bother you.

7. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Cool idea! I'm going to try it and see how it works. I was thinking that there might be some sort of "shortcut" to activate and de-activate forwarding.

Thanks for the info.

8. profets macrumors 68040

i'd love to see something that allows us to customize locations of settings..

for example, to turn on bluetooth, or internet tethering, its about 3-4 steps.. yet the first option when opening settings is Airplane mode. how often would most people need airplane mode as the first option in settings?

9. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Hey I got an idea, how about we allow people to have their own opinions and not always crucify them for asking a question.

10. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

I answered his question and stated my own opinion.

I wasn't trying to "crucify them" for asking a question. I'm being honest. I would love to be able to customize my settings menu, but if I can't, I don't mind scrolling a little bit, just like many others as I'm assuming. *shrugs* I didn't mean for it to be offensive, chill.

11. profets macrumors 68040

well, you did assume that "everyone doesnt mind scrolling 2 inches"

obviously everyone has their own tastes/likes. me, i hate having to scroll or tap through to something that i use so often. especially when the main settings is full of things i barely need

12. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

well, that was my own fault. i didn't mean everyone, because there are those who hate scrolling through pages of things. I know that if my menus are really cluttered, I prefer to just delete useless things or rearrange them.

I'm just saying that in the case of the settings menu, it's fairly short and not too bad of a scroll, at least for my iPhone. I just flick my thumb and i'm already at the bottom of the menu.

13. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Exactly! You'd think it to be pretty easy to be able to reorder things...:apple:

14. TomatoTomago macrumors newbie

First you need to jailbreak. Then, go to your /Applications/Preferences.app/ and backup Settings-iPhone.plist. The available settings selection and their order is listed in this file. Playing around with it until you get what you wanted.

15. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Interesting. So editing this file manually to reorder the items in the settings page is possible.

Thanks for the info. Now if I can just convince myself to jailbreak...

16. zx9r macrumors newbie

How about next level down?

Great tip. I now have the main settings list how I want it but any advice on moving things from subordinate lists? For example, I'd like to bring Network and BlueTooth to the main settings page instead of buried in the General settings page.

When looking at some of the these other plist files, they are not standard txt files like the settings-iphone.plist. Seems they require more than textedit to manipulate and I fear sections can't be copied and pasted to the top level setting-iphone.plist. True?