re: output sound to my reciever. wireless?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gramps416, Jun 4, 2011.

1. gramps416 macrumors member

Hello,
    In the past I would output sound over the 3.5mm from my computer to RCA jacks in my receiver, which has far superior sound.

With a macbook, I sometimes take it to the couch, but I don't want a long 3.5mm cable attached across the room to the receiver.

Is there a way to transmit sound wirelessly, say through a small usb device or the headphone jack to the receiver?. I would do it through a FM wireless transmitter, but have never found one that transmits with half decent quality.

any thoughts are appreciated.
    this is not critical, so I am not willing to spend hundreds of dollars for an expensive device.
    -g

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

an airport express or appleTV will let you do it.
    You'll need airfoil to send audio other than iTunes, and there will be a couple second delay, so watching a video on your laptop, with audio out of the main speakers is not really an option.

you can pick one program, or whole system audio, to send from.

if you want to send audio from last.fm or pandora, look into sweetfm or pandoraboy. (you'll still need airfoil to get the audio to your stereo)
    you can send audio just from them, and not worry about getting audio from popups or whatever else you might happen upon on the net.

3. jsgreen macrumors 6502

Airport express would do it; it has a plug to connect to the 3.5mm jack on your stereo - wirelessly transmit from your Mac to the airport express.

4. glen e macrumors 68030

google blackberry stereo gateway - about $35 on ebay...