Re-partition and re-install a macbookpro 2008

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeanga, Aug 26, 2013.

1. jeanga macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have an old macbookpro 2008 that I want to re-install and re-partition (the HD is partitioned into two partitions, causing the drive to fill up constantly...) and was wondering the best way to proceed...

I was hoping I could avoid searching through my archives to find the original install DVDs and do it through the web...
    I'm currently running OSX 10.6.4 and I would have thought that I would be limited by the operating system that I can install on it.
    I don't have any problem with using an older version of OSX as a more recent one would probably prove too resource-heavy for the machine.

So ideally I would revert back to the highest version of this operating system I can get to, and restore the hard drive to be one partition.

Any ideas?

MBP details:
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

First, you are going to need the original media for your model of Mac. If you don't have these Apple will sell them to you...don't be tempted by cheap offerings as you need the specific media for your machine.

After that, by using Disk Utility you can remove the unwanted partitons and re-format the drive ready for the fresh installation.

2008? I'm guessing that would be Leopard?...you might have to start there, but can probably run SL...maybe even Lion...I'd double check that with Apple first though.