Re-partition external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zoneee, Mar 9, 2015.

1. zoneee macrumors regular

Hello guys,

i hope you are all having a good day.

i currently own an external hard drive, a samsung one, currently partitioned this way:

total capaciti 2 tb
    1.5tb NTFS, i use it to store files to share with windows computers (i use tuxera on my mac to write on ntfs)
    0.5 tb for time machine, mac ox journaled extended

I would like to repartition it so i can have 1 tb and 1 tb for each partition

i dont care of losing my time machine data, ill rebuild it from scratch
    i DO care of my data on ntfs partition, i dont wanna lose it and i dont have another external hd.

which software should i use? can i repartition the ntfs partition without losing data?

i think i did it in the first place with paragon on windows, i prefer to do it over osx but i can plug it in to a windows computer and do it from there.

Thank you!

2. ColdCase, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015

ColdCase macrumors 68030

You should never mess with the partitioning on your hard disk without first backing it up.

You should find a way to save the stuff you need, instead of relying on the utilities to save you. 1-2 TB USB drives are relatively inexpensive now days, like $50.

You can repartition drives with disk utility without losing data but dunno if it maters if one partition is in NTFS. Windows has a shrink utility and then you can alocated the freed up space to another partition.

http://www.geek.com/apple/how-to-partition-a-mac-hard-drive-1482555/

3. zoneee thread starter macrumors regular

Hello,
    thank you for your messages.
    at the moment I'm relatively poor and i can't afford spending 50 or 60 for a backup of a back, but i totally understand your point. I'll see what i can do.
    I'm also reading the post you linked.
    Hopefully someone knows if its possible to do it without touching the data in the partition even if its ntfs!