Re-partition... Fail!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by swb1192, Jan 16, 2009.

1. swb1192 macrumors 6502

So I partitioned my MacBook's hard-drive so I could put Windows 7 on, using BootCamp. That all went well, except for some reason, the Windows 7 wouldn't work on the partition, according to the installation program. So I thought "Oh well, I already have Vista and XP on Parallels." I returned to OS X, and went to Disk Utility. I erased the partition I created, and when I tried to resize the original partition afterwards (so it took up the whole hard-drive again), it... failed. The computer froze.

I held down the power button for several seconds, and then it shut off. When I tried turning it on again, the computer said "No bootable device found. Insert bootable drive and press any key."

(Just for giggles: imagine a 16-year-old kid who paid $1600 to get a computer in this situation. Yeah, that's me.)

After I calmed down from my panic attack, I restarted it again and held down the option key. Thankfully, it gave me the option of starting in "Macintosh HD." Everything fixed... right?

Wrong.

I was on the MacRumors forums when my computer froze (stupid "grey screen," and it makes your music skip over and over which is really annoying). When I shut it off and turned it on again, once again it gave the same warning about a bootable device!

What do I have to do to make it so the HD is the bootable device?

2. BlackLight macrumors regular

BlackLight

have you boot from your OSX dvd and run disk utility to repair your HDD..if not try it to repair your hdd and boot up again to see if everything is ok.

pop in the osx dvd> boot from it> when the dvd runs..go to the menu in your taskbar and select disk utility and run it from your OSX dvd and click repair ..let it do its thing when its done restart your mac to see if it back to normal .

if everything works your can try the partition again for windows vista.

3. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

the same happened to me lol, and im also a 16 year old kid who sent almost 2000 on mine haha, and all i did was pop the osx discs in and restore everything..the way i look at it is, a little bit of lost data and a functional computer. Or spending 2 grand and not having a functional machine because of my stupid curiosity.:D

4. impreza98 macrumors member

System Preferences> Start-up Disk

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

i ran into somewhat the same problem. i ended up copying my "macintosh HD" partition to an external hard drive and completely reformatting the computer, then copy the macintosh hd partition back from the external

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Time Machine is GREAT for that :)

7. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

yeah only problem with time machine is im not sure if you can back up 2 macs on one external hard drive

8. bradenwh macrumors 6502

Just so you know, you're not supposed to use Disk Utility to delete the Boot Camp partition. You're supposed to go back into Boot Camp Assistant.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hhhmmmmm, with Time Capsule i have 3 different mac's backed up to it.... that might just be allowed on TC though, i bet its not but. try it.

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

This.

Hopefully it works for me come August when the 7 Beta expires :p

11. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

nah, i prefer doing it manually with carbon copy cloner

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yea fair enough, i just find the whole "reinstall everything including your desktop, documents etc without trying to hard" very easy to do... thats my reasoning behind it :p