Re-Play of Games

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by pcypert, Jan 22, 2009.

1. pcypert macrumors 6502

Having played through Fable 2 twice I've been reminded of a huge gaming pet peeve.

Why are there big chunks of dialogue and what not that can't be skipped? This ruins it for me. It's a huge waste of time on a replay. Sure there are some conversations that can be skipped, but not all, and some are way longer. You're stuck walking slow or listening to people way too much.

Other games are way worse, but they don't bill themselves on replay value. If that's your goal, make it easy.

I was thinking of playing Mass Effect but the idea of sifting through all that dialogue again really puts me off it. Same with Super Paper Mario...why can't i just skip to the levels with actual gameplay....

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Lost Odyssey had at least one cutscene that was so long that the controller powered itself off and automatically paused the game :D

3. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

With Mass Effect on the PC, you can press space to skip past the dialogue. So I'm assuming there's an option on the 360? I'm on my 3rd play through. :)

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

They annoy me too. That's why I like the HL way of presenting cutscenes, build them into the game! Make them slightly interactive! Works a treat. Quite fun to hump Alex's leg when her fathers talking to her or picking up cups with the gravity gun whilst you're being praised by groups of strangers.

5. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Weirdo! :eek: :p

Speaking of the interactive cut-scenes, RE4's use of them definitely helped in keeping it interesting. I probably would have tuned them out otherwise.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Thats sick......I usually just stare at her butt whiles shes talking.;)

In MGS4 you can move the mk2 around the environment whiles the cutscene is going on....thats excellent.

Bless

7. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Phew! At least I'm not the only one. :p

I always prefer interactive cut-scenes in games. That always helps better integrate them with the actual gameplay. And, yeah, in 2nd playthroughs, I usually also like to skip dialog as well. However, in the first playthrough, it really annoys me when people skip dialog or cut-scenes. You totally miss out on the story...which is half the fun of some games.

8. pcypert thread starter macrumors 6502

Just remembered another big one...in Super Mario Galaxy, wish there was a way to skip through all the dialogue that's instructional on the Luigi playthrough. I mean at that point you've once completed all the stars, probably safe to assume you know the ropes... and some of them are annoying, like 3-5 minutes of pushing the A button in response to crap folks are saying.

Fable 2 has some dialogue you can outright skip, but others you can't and worse still some where you're stuck walking at a snail's pace behind some character while they slowly walk and talk.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah it had some mightily long cutscenes but nothing as long as Metal Gear Solid 4 which has some of the longest cutscenes I've ever endured.