Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gramps416

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
I was curious
education pricing on a low or high 15" hovers around 6-9%.

when refurb prices come out for a current generation macbooks, I was curious what percentage discount they would be. (to see if it is similar to the education discount, or much higher)

Maybe it is possible to find out from past practices on previous generations. For example, when the previous gen 2010 refurbished first started coming out, what percentage discount was offered?

-g

/user/me

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
I was curious
education pricing on a low or high 15" hovers around 6-9%.

when refurb prices come out for a current generation macbooks, I was curious what percentage discount they would be. (to see if it is similar to the education discount, or much higher)

Maybe it is possible to find out from past practices on previous generations. For example, when the previous gen 2010 refurbished first started coming out, what percentage discount was offered?

-g

Refurb prices are quite better than the new ones with the student discount. I don't know about the refurbs for 2011. That ran me about 2500 with everything i wanted. My 2010 13 inch was a refurbt though, and that ran me 989.12

gramps416

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
yes, but what about percentages. that is the question. If for example, in the past only 10% discount was offered for refurbished, then using a student discount (which is 6-9%) may be worth the extra money.

when the april 2010's came out, how were the refurbished percentages. can anyone remember?
this information may be able to provide info for how much the 2011's may be when refurbished models come out.

Trj

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2010
For comparison sake, the base 2010 15" was $1849.99 in Canada and until the recent refresh was selling for $1599.99 as a refurb, so roughly 13.5% off.

applecores

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2011
yes, but what about percentages. that is the question. If for example, in the past only 10% discount was offered for refurbished, then using a student discount (which is 6-9%) may be worth the extra money.

when the april 2010's came out, how were the refurbished percentages. can anyone remember?
this information may be able to provide info for how much the 2011's may be when refurbished models come out.

I don't know about when they were newer, but the refurb April 2010 13" (low-end, entry) was $1099 (new retail $1199 - 8% off) just two weeks before the 2011s came out.

The refurb 15s and 17s went for a higher percentage off, like 12-14% for the 15s and 15%-plus for the 17s.

Granted, that was right before the 2011s came out, but I don't think they fluctuate much until the new model is out (the low-end 2010 13" immediately dropped to $999 after the 2011s came out, plummeting as did all the other 2010s).

If you can hold out, a refurb 15" from this generation is def. the way to go IMO. I needed a Macbook for my new job quickly and didn't have the cash, so I got the 13", expecting to trade up for a refurb 15" within the year.

BTW, I also have the student option, which I used on the new 13, but before the new ones came out, the refurb prices were better than new with student discount.

Dimemaker

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
refurbs

For me the fact I live in California and pay sales tax on the refurb as opposed to buying online out of state tax free eats into the utility getting refurbished.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.