Re-registration of Mac owner

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Susurs, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Susurs macrumors 6502a

Susurs

Hi!

I recently sold my MacMini. It was registered to my name and I could see it on my registered product list.
    Now however it is not showing up there anymore and says it is registered under other ID if I enter the serial number.
    It is ok with me of course, just wanted to know how the buyer could re-register it without letting me know it :)

I gave him the proof of purchase and wiped the HDD before selling it.
    So when he reinstalled OSX and started it for the first time there probably showed up that registration screen...did it allows to re-register users in Apple's database just so simply under another name?

Just asking this because I am willing to understand how that works.

Thank you!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just a phone call to Apple does it.

3. Susurs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Susurs

Interesting...Then somebody could theoretically obtain a product or probably only a serial illegally and just make a phone call to Apple and register it on his name...
    That is not a safe system.

4. slu macrumors 68000

slu

You don't even need to call. You can register when you install or start OS X for the first time.

5. Susurs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Susurs

You mean re-register which results in owervriting my old registration on Apple's servers?
    That's probably what happened if it works like that cause I viped the drive before I sold it.
    Thank's for all the previous answers :)