Re-repartitioning an external HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by capoeirista, Nov 10, 2007.

1. capoeirista macrumors 6502

Hey everyone, I have a question (but I'm scared I already know the answer, but I need to make sure). First the situation...

I have an external USB drive partitioned into 3...
    i) 80G Backup of my Mac HD (currently Tiger and bootable)
    ii) 135G Mac partition
    iii) 80G FAT32 partition

This set up has lasted me fine for the past x months. However, next week I shall be getting a copy of Leopard. I'd quite like to use Time Machine and would like to have a separate patition for it (~80G I guess). Now what I'd like to do, is cut the FAT32 partition down to 10G as I don't really need it to be huge and cut 10-20G out of the Mac Partition, stitch the two together, reformat as Mac giving me a 80-90G partition.

So... Is this possible? Will it delete the contents of both original partitions? There's enough free space in both for this to theoretically occur, but I don't want to lose the data on the Mac partition... Would I be better off just losing the FAT32 partition entirely and reformating it for Time Machine (I'm not TOO bothered about not having it, but it would be useful)

Thanks in advance....

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you can use ipartition. its a non destructive partition tool (google for it). youll be able to resize any partition of any format.