Re-ripping dvds in mac made in pc

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrsdagz, May 14, 2009.

1. mrsdagz macrumors newbie

Okay...so I'm literally going crazy. My father ripped a bunch of dvds of mine using his pc (I haven't converted him...yet!) with DVDfab Platinum. I'm working on backing up my movies on hard drive and I have tried to rip them to my Macbook with MTR as well as burning them with Popcorn.

I have never had any difficulty with either program except when it comes to trying to re-rip these dvds copied on pc first. It doesn't seem logical that this can be a pc to mac problem...but who knows?

MTR shuts down immediately when trying to rip the movie. Popcorn won't burn the TS file from the DVD or an image file of the DVD. I'm lost. Does anyone have any suggestions...?

Gotta love :apple:

2. wackymacky macrumors 65832

wackymacky

Were they ripped on the PC as a compleate extraction? Sounds as they havn't been burt as a proper DVD-video disk but rather a data disk of some form, or the codecs in the viedo_ts folder arn't correct.

3. mrsdagz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply.

I couldn't tell you how they are encoded. I know they were made as a "main feature only" dvd. They play in a dvd player...and Popcorn will play them...just not burn them. VLC player will play them.

I'm not that computer savvy...so pardon me if I say something that's ridiculous.

I compared a video ts folder of a dvd I burned from the original in Popcorn to one burned from DVD fab. The only difference I see is in the one from DVD fab, there's only one VTS_1.0 IFO and on VTS_1.0 BUP file and from Popcorn, there's one for each numbered VOB (VTS_2, VTS_3, and so on) Does that make any sense? And is there any way around this if it's encoded wrong...?