Re-selling my iPad. Heads up on what I should do beforehand?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Lit Up*, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Lit Up* macrumors member

Reselling to fund an upgrade. It's currently jailbroken so I guess I need to use PKGBackup or something to backup all my stuff? Then just restore it to the latest software to get rid of my stuff on it, and un-jailbreak it? This is the first time I've done this and I'd appreciate some advice on best practice. Thanks!

2. seong macrumors 65816

seong

If you want to keep your data, then back it up. I don't think restoring from your old iPad's backup will still keep the jailbreak, so keep that in mind.

This is why I never jailbreak; never want to go through the hassle of backing up individually, re-jailbreak, re-install, etc, but this is off topic :D

3. Lit Up* thread starter macrumors member

There is a jb method of backing up jb content. It's not a hassle. But I forget what the method is called. Please advise, anybody who knows, thanks!

4. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

huh backing up individually? you dont have to.

aptbackup

5. Redjericho, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012

Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Ah, but the many hundreds of additional features my iPad has due to being jailbroken is well worth the 15 minute process you described. It's not like i'm getting a new device every day.

On topic: Sounds like you have it right OP, but I have a warning for you. Both aptbackup and pkgbackup have not been updated for quite a while, they are known to have problems on later iOS versions (such as 5.1.1). I would still suggest using them, as they make the process so much quicker, but I would also suggest getting an old fashioned pen and paper and writing down each tweak, repo, and any specific settings for any of those tweaks. Trust me, if the backup app screws up, you'll be glad you took the 10 minutes to do it, otherwise you'll be hitting yourself as you rack your brain for everything you can remember.

Edit: Oh oh oh, and when you use aptbackup, be sure to transfer the file off of your device over SSH or other means (and make sure you write down the directory you got it from, cause you will most likely have to put to back in that spot on your new device). Otherwise you are basically making the backup and putting it on your device, then giving away the device with the backup. And before restoring, go to settings>general>reset>erase all content and settings, then restore in iTunes. This will ensure absolutely all data, jailbroken and unjailbroken, is off the device. But be sure to do this only after you have transfered the aptbackup file to another computer, or it will be deleted as well.

6. seong macrumors 65816

seong

HA! Why didn't I ever think of this???
    I've been using it for quite a while now. The app is called iExplorer. You can navigate through the app contents, and back them up using documents (it's not necessarily the same for every apps.)
    Yes, it's not the most efficient way of backing up app documents, but it works on every iOS I've tried thus far.
    Good luck upgrading! Hopefully things will go smoothly on your side :)

7. Lit Up* thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the replies. I've upgraded and transferred all my stuff over to the new ipad, and jailbroken it too. only issue is noticeably shorter battery life, which i've posted about in the j/b forums.

only last question - does anybody know what procedures I specifically need to do before handing it over to the next owner? I'm talking about erasing my info from the iPad completely (is there a special thing I might overlook other than factory reset?), making sure I don't give out any potentially important serial numbers to non-serious buyers and fraudsters, etc.

thanks