re-set mac mini while it's on

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ke2000, Aug 19, 2007.

1. ke2000 macrumors member

hi all, i've using macmini for a while, but on some rare occasion when resetting it I had to turn it off and on. Can someone share me your solutions without turn off the mini?

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hhmm how do you mean?? you go to restart it and it wont boot? so then u have to turn it off and then on....

like that??

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you're talking about restarting after system updates then unfortunately there's no trick to get you 'round this apart form simply not installing them, which isn't advisable. A restart is good for your machine every now and then. :)

4. ke2000 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, DoFoT9, when system locked up. I couldn't find a way but had to force it to switch off by pressing power button. I knew pressing command+ctl+power would restart apple laptop but that didn't work for Mini.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oohhh i see now, you dont know a restart combination... now im with you. hhmmm im not sure on that.

6. headhammer macrumors regular

force restart is command+control+eject, but if the finder is hanging, i'm not sure this will work. that shortcut automatcially quits all apps (asking you to save any unsaved work) and restarts the computer.

you can force-quit any apps causing you grief by pressing commnd+option+escape, and you can even re-launch the finder with this shortcut, without restarting the computer.

7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

If the system has completely locked up you'll need to shut it off by pushing and holding the power switch.

If this is happening, your first question needs to be why is it happening - not how can I get out of the situation without powering off ;)

Does the system just 'hang', ie stop responding to everything you do? Is there something you do that usually results in the hang?

8. ke2000 thread starter macrumors member

Sometimes things go wrong it stops responding me, eg tiny disk scratch caused it keep reading the cd, pull firewire cable without ejecting disk first...

Anway, thanks all of you for answering me. I wanted to know the key combanation for forcing MacMini restart.