Re-Sizing boot partition

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AcesHigh87, Oct 21, 2014.

1. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

A bit of background before I get into my main question:

Without a second mac hat was compatible I was running the Yosemite beta on a second partition of my internal HDD. It installed and ran perfectly fine. However with the OS officially released I deleted the partition in order to upgrade my mac in full.

Now, however, I can’t re-size my boot partition (Macintosh HD) in order to fill up the space that Yosemite was taking up. I can pull the corner in Disk utility and it doesn’t give me an error when I hit apply but nothing appears to happen. I’ve attached a screenshot of what it looks like.

At first I assumed it was because I was running off the partition so I booted my iMac into the recovery partition and tried in there. However when I pulled the partition out and hit apply I received an error about not being able to unmount. I don’t remember the exact wording now but it didn’t work obviously.

So, that brings me here. How do I get this unpartitioned space back to being my Macintosh HD partition? I would like to get this figured out before I install Yosemite so that my computer is fully back to normal in advance. I’m sure I could clean install Yosemite and just start from scratch off a time machine backup but I would much rather not go that route.

Attached Files:

2. dilap macrumors 6502a

This happened to me. I checked that I had read and write access (which I didnt)to Macintosh HD, changed it so I did, then restarted Disk Utility. Have you googled it? If that doesn't work than install Yosemite and then resize

3. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Only system had read & write, others just had read. Nothing different when trying while booted but I didn’t think that would work. I’ll try from recovery when I get a chance later.

Googling the problem got me few results unfortunately. Mostly just saying boot from something else for it which I can’t really do since I don’t have anything else to boot from.

4. dilap macrumors 6502a

Change the permissions by pressing the plus button and pressing your username. Change that to read and write

5. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Yeah, Sorry, meant to say that I had done so before testing again. I'll see how it works booting from recovery.

6. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I sorta got it working. What was suggested unfortunately did not help and neither did booting from a Mavericks USB key unfortunately.

What I wound up doing was creating new partitions to fill the gap, dropping them to minimum size and then deleting them before hitting apply. It's weird but after 3-4 goes it basically worked. I'm still missing around 50GB of space which sorta sucks but it's better than the alternative.